Monday Report

A place to stretch the truth a little...
JD

Monday Report

Post by JD »

The snapshot of my tracks in Google Earth tells the story. Click the images for full size.
It was 105F at the time I landed in Azusa and 108F earlier in the day. I spotted an empty lot with a large shady tree to set down after the West winds shut things down on me.

The day was pretty bad. I arrived at Little Lukens with 3500'. After a wild-ass ride digging out and hitting 5700' still at Little, I went on glide for the towers and got nothing. I continued on to the base of Brown Mountain arriving with 4200'. I finally got to 7900' at Mt Harvard but not until I was tossed into the air a few times for good measure. Wire slaps would have been an improvement. By then the winds has switched from South (headwind) to WSW and I went for Monrovia Peak. It was another scratch fest low at the summit until a hawk showed me where the core was. I only had 6,000' to work with as went on glide for the reservoir in Azusa. By then the winds were West at 15mph and my drift rate in weak lift on the ridge was pretty crazy. Unable to get established and at least make it to the beer cart at San Dimas Cyn Golf I opted for the empty construction site. Lots of eddys on landing. Used the drag chute which made it far safer and allowed a steep dive. Quickly crab-walked over to the tree and tied my nose down as Gregg DeWolf taught me years ago.

Mario picked me up and we were back in the ghost town LZ by 7PM. Poor Bob B left his helmet in his car and drove back down after setting up his Eagle. Thanks to Steve Clark for running his truck and Mario for the incentive to go.
chadness

Post by chadness »

well, nice try, nice work. yep, does sound like the day was not that good, but you made the best of it. On Sunday (day before) a bunch of us also observed that there was no lift in front of Little Lukens and Lukens, just alot of really nasty air. I feel like this is normally a pretty lift-y area, so WTF?
JD

Post by JD »

Tuesday, I flew from Crestline and tried to reach Sylmar. I launched 90 minutes too late in the day (1:24PM). I got turned back today by the Westerly wind pushing through at the San Gabriel River, not far from Monday's landing field.

jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

u got bigger balls than me.
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
OP

Post by OP »

drop your track into this https://www.doarama.com/ and post the link.