Two good days in a row

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Vrezh

Two good days in a row

Post by Vrezh »

Both Sunday and Monday we had rare for this time of the year good conditions. Pilots got 7-8k and flew to Lukens and West Towers and in between. Dave Cutter almost made it to Mt. Wilson (again!).
Vrezh.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

I concur, in the morning I could see the day had great flying potential. I called Phildor and Ronaldo to coordinate a ride. The lapse rate from the Vandenburg sounding was the main clue for me. Left work very early arriving at the LZ by 12 noon.

We decided on a towers launch, which was a great choice, blowing straight in about 8mph. Cutter was first off and climbed right away. Our plan was for Kagel route 3. It didn't take too long to have all of us (Bloom, Wiener, Cutter and Myself) up around 6k. As we prepare to start the course Cutter leaves to the east (likely to get a start on Wilson). The rest of us decide to give a west push beyond W towers a go.

At the 2200 we top out at 8k (not bad for November 20th). I leave first, pouring on the speed, but slow at west towers to see what my other 2 wingmen are contemplating. We continue to the 14, 5 split. Basically Phill has us on glide at about 7100, I'm at 6800 and Ron is 500' lower. I'm hoping that Phill's not going, Ron has turned back and Phill and I are pushing on, as I will him not to go. Phill begins his turn and I blaze back towards the 1500. Halfway back I get a boomer in the heart of mig ally. It's going up @ 700'/min. We've had some thermals today that had some sustained 1000'/min, so this ones right in the ballpark to get us up quick. I lose sight of Ron and Phill, so I push on towards kagel. Speeds are fast, 60+, pulling up on trash Vrezh joins and we climb back through 5.5k as I see Phill and Ron midway between kagel and magic mtn.

Vrezh and I leave trash for Big T. As we approach Big T, we see Ron barely squeeking in over Big T. From here on Ron and I are feeling the pinch and not climbing as well as Vrezh and Phill. I spend about an hour but finally make it up and out. Ron hangs on there a very long time. Matter of fact he'll see Danny Black come over and land in Big T wash before he does. Ron is down to 2100' several times but each time he scratches his way back to 3k but he's hitting a ceiling each time. Ron eventually throws in the towel and lands with Danny.

I make it back with plenty of room to spare. Phill makes it to Lukens and back to the LZ. We learn later that Cutter makes Wilson but not the peak. Awesome low game for Cutter, we'll let him fill in the details.

Flight Duration: 1.5hrs
Max Altitude: 8300'
Max Speed: 70mph
abinder

Post by abinder »

aaawwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhh......................mannnnnnnnnnnn................

do you think if I put a turbo charger on my Falcon 1 I could go that fast?!!
:D

Allen