Elsinore December 1st

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Chip
Site Admin

Elsinore December 1st

Post by Chip »

With the forecast for the southland looking more like a hurricane prediction (without the rain), a group of pilots decide to travel away from our home and seek altitude and fun elsewhere.

Phill Bloom started calling the group on Friday, nice logistics Phill. In short order we had 7 pilots (Phill, Wiener, Burgis, Andy, Big Mike, Jonsey, and myself) and two trucks with a meeting time of 8:30 for Saturday. Consequently Friday did look launchable, but with no windsock and a iffy forecast it's no wonder nobody showed up.

Saturday morning I check the weather and it's blowing hard just about everywhere. The NWS is forecasting the wind to strengthen throughout the day, Santa Barbara looks like it's out (blownout) and Ave S was probably OK but we wanted more. I'm committed but I not sure if Elsinore will blow too strong. In the LZ, we call gawldurn Bill (Bill Soderquist). He gives a nice picture of the day (winds from the N and NNE with altitudes possibly to 6k if we get temps above 70) and we load up headed for Elsinore.

On the way, the wind is sending us mix messages. Through Arcadia it's completely calm and sometimes blowing from the South. It's pretty much this way until we get to the 71. On the 71 around Chino Hills it's honkin 25 from the NE, blowing dirt and dust, moving the vehicle all over as we're driving. Once we get on the 15, the wind is now from the WNW about 10.

As we get into Elsinore, it's clear that the day looks OK, but we're going to be launching from Edwards (the normal site when it more from the N than NE. The group pulls up to Honey's (a normal breakfast stop for the Sylmar crew). As we sit down we spot John Heiney. Already it looks like the day will be pretty good, thinking that John only shows up for the good days.

Breakfast was quick and soon we're in the LZ lookin at the place they call an LZ, more like a SZ (Seizure Zone). Big Mike consolidates the load to take Bill Solderquist and we start up the hill about 11am.

Edwards is straight in, but windy. It looks OK as there is one paraglider in the air (everyday Mike). The paraglider is doing OK but he's on speedbar a lot. There's also 3 sailplanes flying around with no problem staying in the air. Burgis and Solderquist are the first of our group off. They climb out right away about 1k or so over launch. Gradually we all take our position in the air. Although two pilots decide the launch conditions and the SZ aren't to their liking, and back off. John Heiney is the wireman for many of us, Big Mike was also prominent as the nose wireman for most launches (very cool).

Right away I'm climbing and joining the sailplanes. Most of the crew is West of launch, Although not quite as high as them I head west to join up. I need to use them as I'm without instruments today, although it's clear you don't need them today. The crew is all up and down the range going out away from the mountain and finding light thermals away from the range and riding them back over the mountains. This is where I need the company of pilots the most. For the rest of the flight we're running from a little past RadDan's to the towers. Now there's 4 sailplanes and they fit in pretty well flashing the "Claw" as they pass (a substitute for a handshake among the Elsinore locals).

After several hours it's getting shaded on the north side of the range, the wind is steady from the N around 12 (detected by the wind lines on the lake). I've watch just about every landing, and it's a whack-fest down there. I'm not real excited about doing a heart pounding pounding and decide to wait a bit longer. I join Bill and follow him with a few sailplanes showing the way to the west. We do well over there but the shade is creeping quickly down the slope. OK, my turn. I move out over the lake to lose altitude watching yet another whack. That's it, I'm going somewhere more hospitable for landing (read flat and into the wind). Continued ........
Last edited by Chip on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chip
Site Admin

Elsinore December 1st continued ...

Post by Chip »

Continued ...

I throw in the "pussy" towel and head over to the corner lot across the road from the trailer park. As I make my approach I'm not too sure I made the right choice as I have powerlines to deal with. I decide that being right on top of them is the best place to stage. The field is rectangular in shape with powerlines on two sides and a set about 3/4's of the way into the field that go across and seemingly go nowhere. Finally on my crosswind I know I'm in and concentrate on the powerlines in front of me to make sure my decent is well short of them (which it is). I need this landing to be good to shake off bad ju-ju of my Elsinore curse. But I feel once I'm into the field I've got a high rate of success.

Here's a google earth placemarker of my LZ

Ahh ........ no whackage. But now my other problem, no bags and no phone. I've broken 2 cardinal rules. But I've at least got one BIG 24oz Bud Light in my harness. Phill suggested we put a beer in the harness prior to launching. Probably because, one, he knows the Elsinore crew would suck them up prior to all of us landing, and two, we weren't sure if we could get our vehicle down to the LZ since we went without a driver. In the end we got someone to take the truck down.

Having the beer was nice having no phone sucked. I packed up as quickly as I could and started walking to the LZ. On the way I spotted Big Mike and motioned for him to pull over. After picking me up, I was awarded the "you're buying the beer because your a chicken" designation. But I made a lot of people happy in the end, even if I didn't entertain them with a whack of my own.

Overall a very nice day with a bit of drama at the end with the powerlines, got to meet John Heiney, and fly with 4 sailplanes in close proximity of the terrain and other pilots.

There was one paraglider pilot that decided to try and launch while we were there setting up. His launch was major scarey. He was pulled up quickly getting pulled backwards as his wing was pulled up. Once the wing inflated he was hovering righ above launch and clearly in trouble and being pushed up and back. He ended up getting behind launch and survived several collapses and finally about 1/4 mile back and 15' off the ground collapsed the final time into a clear area in the chapperal. While he was above launch I got caught right under him as was very nervous about him collapsing and coming right down on me. The pilot packed up with the help of friends and was no worse for wear but I think he likely had a few more grey hairs after that wild ride (hope it was worth it). It didn't look enjoyable at all. :o

At dinner Bill and I talked about trying to organize a Southern California XC League meet with the other clubs in the area (Sylmar, Elsinore, Crestline, San Diego, and Santa Barbara). There seems to be some interest, but someone clearly needs to shepard this sort of thing along. He's trying to get me to do it, but clearly I cannot do it alone. More later on this in the Comp Discussions forum.

Here's another account on the day