My first flight to Mt Wilson and back

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Vrezh

My first flight to Mt Wilson and back

Post by Vrezh »

So we all had our moments. That first solo, first this and first that… So you can understand me.
Because I had my first flight to Mount Wilson and back. In a true Dave Cutter style.
Dave is my hero, he made it to Wilson and back many times.
I attempted to follow him a few times before, but never got further than East Lukens.
And every time I would fly back to Kagel with my tail between my legs and mad at my glider, that wouldn’t keep up with big boys. But, hey, we all know it’s not the glider, don’t we?
Some highlights from today’s flight.
Winds; S/S-W 10-12 at launch, more Westerly near 6-7K, turning into N-W higher up.
Flight route; Kagel, Big T, Lukens, Mt Brown, Mt Markham, Mt Wilson, back to Kagel, Locals, 22, West Towers, 1500, LZ.
Flight time; 3:45
Max altitude; 8350
Distance covered; ~ 55 Miles (straight line)

Getting back was the hardest part. I had to fly in a strong headwind, in rapidly deteriorating conditions. On the top of it I had to deal with N-W and S-W shearing around the mountaintops. It was like riding a giant rollercoaster.
I got very low near Angeles Forest Highway crossing (4000 was the lowest) and found myself staring at Mount Lukens rising in front of me, blocking the sky like imposable massif. How do you fly around this thing without getting into that strong W wind shadow behind it?
I’ll confess, before finally the fight for survival was over and I was on top of Lukens again at 6K+, I had to pick a few LZ-s here and there and was almost certain every time , that I will land…

At the end, to finish my flight in a true Dave Cutter fashion, I had to go to West Towers, ring the bell and come to land.

Ron, Sebastian and Dave (again) also made it to Wilson, Chipy was a little shy of it.
Dave made it back to Kagel, and Ron and Sebastian landed out near Santa Anita Horse Race Track.

Good days are coming. Keep an eye on forecasts.
Vrezh.
abinder

Re: My first flight to Mt Wilson and back

Post by abinder »

Yahooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Good job!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been busy lately but hope to be out there with you this Thursday!!!!!

Allen
MikeB

Re: My first flight to Mt Wilson and back

Post by MikeB »

Vrezh wrote: ......and Ron and Sebastian landed out near Santa Anita Horse Race Track....
Hi all, I just joined the forum so I could ask about this. As I picked her up from school in Arcadia yesterday, my daughter claimed to have seen a hang glider circle and land nearby. The direction she indicated appeared to be Arcadia park or the Santa Anita golf course, adjacent to Santa Anita racetrack. I figured it was likely someone flying from Kagel or Mt. Wilson.

The Arcadia PD is located right between the racetrack and the golf course, did they have to get involved yesterday? I hope not....
Lucky 13

Post by Lucky 13 »

A while back I flew from Kagel Mt. all the way to Trash Mt., and then back again. Next I'm going for Locals, then maybe Palm Springs. And then I'll top the paragliding record for altitude. Or maybe not. Seriously, does that count as a record? Is the use of thunderhead clouds cheating?
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Lucky 13 wrote:A while back I flew from Kagel Mt. all the way to Trash Mt., and then back again...
Wow. I've flown your site, looked down upon Trash with awe, and can only imagine how that must have pushed you to the limit!

I am sincerely interested to know something about how the issues of landing out in this populated area were handled. I live in the Monrovia foothills and there is a clear area at the base of the hills that would serve as a pretty good LZ if only it were allowed. I was biking there in the late 1980s and witnessed three hang gliders fly from Mt. Wilson down to that spot. One pilot was tandem...with his dog!...and landed on wheels. As I left the area I was dismayed to encounter the Arcadia police. Some vigilant resident just had to call them it seems, couldn't abide the horror of seeing a hang glider land in the foothills. I don't know how severe a penalty those pilots paid for their adventure.