BS2015 Task 1

Moderator: Comp Committee

jdevorak

BS2015 Task 1

Post by jdevorak »

Day 1 task 1
Started out badly. My driver didn’t show and calling her produced an error message “the number you have called is unavailable�. Two of my pilots went to another truck and Bruce Barmakian agreed to take me for just one day. What a scramble. My launch position was 20th based on my US ranking. Davis Straub made a rule that the first twenty pilots HAD to take the first clock. I got good altitude in the 5k start cylinder but I couldn’t figure out my distance to the edge of the circle. The arrow kept pointing back toward the airport. I NEED to find out how to do that. The south wind pushed me to the right of course line. About 45k out we ran into a rain line. Because I was down wind of the course line I thought I would go left around the rain. Then I would get a tail wind to the turn point. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I got around the rain but didn’t find any more lift and glided to the ground. Looking at what the others did in the race replay, going around the storm to the north was the thing to do. They made the turn point before getting decked. Anyway I got broken down before another downpour hit. I found an outhouse by an oil pump a quarter mile away and took refuge. It was already occupied by a black widow. I apologized and it didn’t jump me. The rain really started coming down hard. I river formed around the outhouse and a mouse joined us. The rain slacked off and I got a call from my chase. They found my glider and harness. I hiked back through ankle deep water. I found the whole thing an adventure. The others in the truck did not. They have done it before.
[/b]
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
JD

Re: BS2015 Task 1

Post by JD »

jdevorak wrote:....It was already occupied by a black widow. I apologized and it didn’t jump me. The rain really started coming down hard. I river formed around the outhouse and a mouse joined us....
Whatever you do Jay, do not consummate your marriage to Charlotte lest there be consequences. Was your absentee driver's name Charlotte too?

I hope you get everything sorted out!
JD
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Monday did not go well but, looking at the result, it didn’t go well for most. My driver didn’t show again after promising she would, I bumbled a ride mainly because Zippy pleaded my case. I am getting ahead of the story. It rained hard the night before. In the morning it was still overcast. The weather man (Larry Bunner) said a corridor would clear to the north about 1pm. A task was called with another briefing at 1pm for a final decision. One o’clock came around and it seemed to be happening, just much slower than expected. We were to meet again at 2 for a final final decision. At 2 they called a start at 4:20 and shortened the route by 40 kilometers. I was 11th to launch. I got to 6k with Davis Straub, Dave Gibson and others. We were on the downwind side of the start cylinder with a 15 mph wind and 45 minutes to the first start clock. I lost the slow climb. I decided it was an untenable position so I headed back toward the tow line hoping to find lift along the way. I didn’t and landed just short of the airstrip in a fenced off area with a locked gate. Straub landed right behind me. One of the Norwegians came out to help and found that the padlock had been cut and it was just hanging. Praise Rasta. I got back in the tow line and tried again. It was not as good the second time. Six of us were working 150 up 1500 off the deck and drifting like crazy. We all hung on. That’s when I had a brain fart. Last story I told you how I was having trouble gauging my distance to the edge of the cylinder. Zac told me to have a field that gave me distance to start cylinder. If it’s negative I am still in it. If it’s positive I drifted to far. Well now mine was positive and I hadn’t heard the beeps that told me I was good to go. I headed back upwind while the others continued their slow climbs. I was about a thousand over the ground and still outside the cylinder when I noticed I had 10 minutes to the SECOND start clock. I would never make it back for another tow so I just drifted down wind working every little bubble I could find. I never got back up but had a good landing in an easy to reach place. Now looking at results after midnight I see a lot of good pilots got minimum distance with only two at goal. My track has not been scored yet so there is still hope!
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

That's a lot of work for the day. What a roller coaster ride it's been already only two days into it.

Still, you're in 10th place. Basically it's all up to you. I'm with you Jay, flying upwind is difficult.

3pm launch sure makes for some late days. Good thing it's still summer. Stay cool while you can.

Scoring looks like it's a problem with FS.
JD

Post by JD »

Jay is currently doing very well in Task 3! https://airtribune.com/play/861/3d
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Nice run Jay, thought you had it. Davis almost snuck in from the N.

Should move you up nicely. :D