Ft Funston Run

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

barton

Ft Funston Run

Post by barton »

edited 6.2018
Last edited by barton on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

please count me IN! (haven't flown there since I was 17 and had a mini-cirrus! never landed on top though. always at the beach. strong incentive to stay up! come to think of it, i guess it was my home site!) how FUN!
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

:| :) :D 8) I'm in.
adamwn2000

Post by adamwn2000 »

Barton I'm in as well,
I can finish up my H-4 flights only 24 left. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by adamwn2000 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Benjamin Franklin
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

Here is illustration of the ridge for those who did not been there yet.
This picture made near "Dump" another launch 3 miles south of fort:

Steve90266

Funston

Post by Steve90266 »

Hey Barton, is this an H-4 site, or an H-3 supervised? If it's H-4 only, I can't make it. If H-3, I'm going to give it my best.
Steve Murillo
addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

Having done a lot of Slope soaring with R/C models I sometimes get bored with ridge soaring. Is that the case in an HG? I see how it would be fun and allow people to get lots of air time to work on skills, but I also see how it could get monontonous. However. the scenery at Funston and Torrey though would make up for it.

For me a lot of the reason why I fly is the thought and skills required to find thermals. It seems ridge soaring would take that aspect away.

Just curious. Your thoughts?

Marc
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

http://www.flyfunston.org/ Heres the Fort Funston website. :)
TomS

Post by TomS »

Marc,
I've flown Funston a couple of times and because of conditions I was limited to going back and forth in a very limited area and it was boring. But the regulars talked about days when you can go for miles down the coast which looks like it would be awesome. Seeing the Golden Gate bridge off in the distance as I flew , for me, made the trip worth it.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

count me OUT, just a dream...
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
Tom C

Post by Tom C »

Sign me up!
Tom
Xander

Post by Xander »

Thanks for organizing, Barton - I'll look forward to the trip. I may fly Mt. Tamalpias as well if it looks good.

-Alex
JT

To: SIGN ME UP!

Post by JT »

From Oscar's link, in case you didn't care to look. They have the applications online to print. All of you are non-voting. H3 minimum:

"To fly at Fort Funston you must display a current, helmet sticker. All stickers expire at the end of December. To receive a helmet sticker you must:

Be a current USHPA member with a rating of H3 or higher
Sign and agree to abide by the club rules
Sign a Fellow Feathers waiver
Complete an application form
Pay membership dues (Voting members) or make a donation (Non-voting members)

There are now two membership levels at Fort Funston. All stickered pilots are now members of one type or the other:

Voting Members. If you wish to vote on club matters or store your glider or gear in the clubhouse, you must be a Voting Member. In addition to satisfying the Non-Voting Member requirements of FF club membership, you must have flown over 20 hours in the past year and must submit the Voting Member application package along with your dues.
Non-Voting Members. Non-Voting members are all those who have agreed to the club rules and submitted the Non-Voting Member document package with their (optional, but much appreciated) donation.
In Person: To get a sticker in person, just find a club member who has sticker application packages. There's frequently someone on site if you just ask around. Some of the sticker holders include Larry, Raffy, Steve Rodrigues, Chris Valley and other board members.

By Mail: To renew your membership and get a sticker by mail, please send in the following items:

A signed application package:
Voting Member Application
Non-Voting Member Application
Dues and/or a donation (thank you)
A copy of your USHPA card
A self addressed stamped envelope

These items should be mailed to:

Chris Valley
107 Madison Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94402
Last edited by JT on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JT

Post by JT »

I don't mean to be the sherriff but the invading army of Sylmartians should brush up on ridge soaring etiquette. This isn't like Avenue S. Ask the locals what their preferred pattern is, too.

Avoid the Nally's Big Chunk Chili and Mystery Meat hot dogs at your camp.

Funston is very fun for about the first twenty minutes. It's a great place to check your glider for turns and tune it. Then I rested my chin on my hands and nearly fell asleep watching the ocean. Really, it's that smooth.

I recommend doing several landings and re-launches given that it is still OK with the local rules. Landing on the beach is no big deal either, if I remember correctly; the ridge isn't that high and there used to be a cut near the Southern end that was easy to walk up. Then again, my glider only weighed 45#. This is a great place for Torrey wanna-flys.
barton

Post by barton »

edited 6.2018
Last edited by barton on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSCAR

H-2 flights at Funston OK with sponsor + club rules

Post by OSCAR »

Apparently H-2 flights are allowed . Fellow Feathers of Fort Funston Hang Gliding Club
Rules and Regulations
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EVERY PILOT TO KNOW, UPHOLD, AND ENFORCE THESE
RULES.
1. ANY INTRUSION INTO CLASS B AIRSPACE JEOPARDIZES THE SITE AND WILL BE
DEALT WITH MOST SERIOUSLY. Class B Airspace extends up to 2,100’ MSL from Ocean
Beach, south past Fort Funston to the Westlake Gap, and up to 1,500’ MSL from the Westlake
Gap south to Point San Pedro.
2. No pilot may fly within 25' of any person on the ground. Pilots must yield to pedestrians
and people on horseback. No pilot may launch when there are spectators in the launch area.
Courtesy, especially toward spectators, is mandatory of all pilots.
3. Pilots shall comply with the laws and regulations under surveillance and enforcement by the
GGNRA / NPS which include cooperation with rangers and law enforcement officers.
4. Pilots may not perform aerobatic maneuvers in or otherwise obstruct the launch window. The
launch window is from the sand trail just south of launch, to the north end of the observation deck,
100' up, 100' out, and 25’ below launch. Aerobatic maneuvers will be defined as any turn with a
bank angle in excess of 60 degrees, or where the attitude of the glider exceeds 30 degrees above
or below horizontal.
5. Pilots must fly safely and courteously, clearing all turns and maneuvers, observing International
Ridge Soaring Rules and avoiding any conduct that could reasonably be expected to create
conflicts with other pilots. Harassment and intimidation are prohibited.
6. Pilots must launch from the designated launch area on the south side of the observation deck.
The landing zone is the field south of the parking lot and should be used whenever possible.
7. Advanced (H-4) pilots may fly south of the Training Bowl without restriction. The first two flights
south of the Training Bowl by pilots without H-4 ratings must be supervised by a pilot who has
made at least 25 flights to Westlake.
8. Pilots must be current members of the United States Hang Gliding Association (USHGA) and
must have proof of at least an USHGA Novice (H-2) rating. Current Fort Funston stickers are
required and must be worn on helmets.
9. Pilots must remain clear of clouds and fog.
10. All H-2 flights shall be supervised by a Sponsor approved by a majority of the Executive
Committee. On their first four (4) flights, an H-2 must glide directly to the beach without
attempting to soar. On subsequent flights, H-2’s may soar only if approved to do so by their
Sponsor.
a) All H-2 flights, from launch to landing, shall be under direct supervision of their
Sponsor.
b) H-2 pilots shall be limited to smooth winds of 15 mph or less, and gusty winds of 10
mph or less. Wind shall not be more than 15 degrees cross.
c) H-2's may fly only as far north as the drain pipe just north of launch, and only as far
south as the south end of the training bowl below the golf course.
Rev. per club vote: 12-8-2009 Page 2 of 5
d) H-2’s must land on the beach. (No top landings).
e) H-2's must fly a bright colored 6’ streamer from their kingpost.
f) If an H-2 violates any Fellow Feathers rule during their sponsored flight, their Sponsor
shall be subject to the same suspension.
g) Only one H-2 may be in the air at any one time. H-2 flights shall be limited to 30
minutes if another H-2 pilot is waiting to launch.
11. Pilots must not fly north of the North Gap during Bank Swallow nesting season; March 15
through August 15.
12. No motorized, experimental, or paragliding flight is allowed at Fort Funston.
By signing the sticker application form, the pilot agrees to know, abide by, and enforce the rules
and regulations contained in this document. Failure to do so may result in a suspension of flying
privileges.
barton

Post by barton »

edited 6.2018
Last edited by barton on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Alllright Mate,.. will do it yooour wayyy. I was just tryin to help any high hour H-2 that may want to come along . :oops:Over and out .

Peace
barton

Post by barton »

edited 6.2018
Last edited by barton on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barton

Post by barton »

edited 6.2018
Last edited by barton on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.