SHGA Beach Party -- Final Details

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Frederick

SHGA Beach Party -- Final Details

Post by Frederick »

Ok, here's the skinny. Lots of people (50-60) are looking forward to this. I dropped by the beach mid-day today and it was beautiful. So we're on. We do need one more volunteer for the hang gliding info booth for the 3pm-4pm slot -- email me back to sign up.
- Freddy

Schedule:

Sextathlon folks need to get there for registration between 11-12, because it will take awhile to get the 2 flights in on the Rogallo for all those folks. The Sextathalon will have you back to Dockweiler by 4pm, for BBQing.

The rest of the folks can be more on-their-own time, though note the following schedule:

Joe Greblo is going to be doing some brief demo/clinics:

2pm Moderinizing Launch Skills

3pm Hook in Failures (aka Monkey flying)

4pm Landing in Cross Wind Gusts

I recommend these highly (I Mosquito fly with Joe). Amazing how much these skills cut danger and stress in flying. Joe lands on treetops when movie directors think they need him in particular locations, so it's interesting to see how much he can do (he credits the beach for those skills). The beauty of the beach is getting to see and try out a whole bunch of launch and take-off stuff -- you can Saturday.

The BBQ cooking will run from 3pm - 6pm or so.

What to bring:

* FOOD: I'll be getting grillables and some basic side dishes (potatoe salad...). Some other folks will be getting basic drinks and ice. Bring some fun sides and perhaps fun drinks. Note that like all LA County Beaches this is "No Alcohol", and No Dogs, with LifeGuards on patrol.

* EQUIPMENT: Bring your single surface glider, if you have one. Sextathalon folks need something to get down the bike path. Also, fun beach stuff, including swim suits and warm towels, and chairs would be nice. Sunscreen for sure. The body surfing is fabulous at that beach, especially this time of year.

* Master Sign-up sheet:

__X_ (Hungary Joe) Bring a Rogallo for the Sextathalon competitors to fly

__X_ (Malury & Lynn) Plan/Get prizes for the day's events (help Richard)

__X_ (Richard Seymour) Build and bring an antique glider

__X_ (Larry C) Bring grill #1
__X_ (Richard Seymour) Bring grill #2
__X_ (Steve Clark) Bring grill #3
__X_ (John Leone) Small grill #4

__X_ (Larry C) Bring food table #1
__X_ (Don Banas) Bring food table #2
__X_ (Rob Burgis) Bring food table #3
__X_ (Grant Hoag) Bring food table #4

_XXX_ (Don Banas, Rob Burgis, Bob Wyler) Purchase drinks and Ice (I'll be able to tell you the # to buy for, and it'll be on the club)

__X_ (Grant Hoag) Bring cooler #1
__X_ (Steve Clark) Bring cooler #2
__X_ (Bob Wyler) Bring cooler #3
__X_ (John Leone) Bring cooler #4

__X_ (Freddy Wagner) Purchase grillables and sides

__X_ (Katherine Yardley) Bring plates/cups/silverware/napkins from the LZ (I'll be able to tell you the # to bring)

__X__ (Katherine and Lynn) Bring the Sunshades from the LZ

__X_ (Lynn McLaughlin) Plan and bring stuff for a HG/SHGA info booth

__X_ (Tom Shaffer) Staff the HG info booth on the bike path 12pm - 1pm
__X_ (Carol and Juliann) Staff the HG info booth..... 1pm - 2pm
__X_ (Dave Loudenback) Staff the .... 2pm - 3pm
____ Staff ... 3pm - 4pm
__X_ (Larry Chamblee) 4pm- 5pm
__X_ (Jay) 5pm - 6pm

Latest Notes:
* Greblo is working up some demonstrations and possible clinic ideas:
90 degree crosswind launch, unhooked launches, ....
* H2s and up can fly their own gliders, but others need to be in lessons there.
* This is a Los Angeles County "No Alcohol Allowed" beach
* Sept 9th is Los Angeles Official Hang Gliding Day, every year (ask Greblo)
* Some people mention this is a great way to take their interested friends for a fun day and try at the sport (if over 90 lbs)
* email me or post, with RSVPs

Concept:
Fun beach-flying day from 11am to 6pm or so, with WindSports offering discounted lessons for your curious family/friends as a Jr. Lifeguard fundraiser. BBQ likely in the 3-6pm range. Pilots bring their single-surface gliders. Others bring fun beach toys. Chairs/sitting things would be nice. An info booth with photos and such up near the bike path (where we'll do the BBQ cooking), to promote our club and sport to that fun crowd. And a fun Sextathlon -- bring a bike and lock, or perhaps a skateboard.

Sextathlon Schedule:
11am - 12 registration
12 - 1:30 each competitor gets 2 flights for distance in H.Joe's rogallo
1:30 race to Manhatten on the 12mph bike path
Lock up the bikes, swim a ways down the beach, run back, go to Bob Wiley's back yard or that microbrewery and drink beer, and race back
4pm competitors are back to Dockweiller
Last edited by Frederick on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:34 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Don

volunteer

Post by Don »

Freddy,

I'm willing to help - BUT - I'll probably have my left arm in a sling so I'll probably be somewhat useless. If you need a one-armed volunteer let me know.

Don
WingNutz

Dockweiler Party

Post by WingNutz »

The beach party sounds great!

Anyone who went to the Dockweiler anniversary party a few years ago can tell you that the beach training hill is a fun place for a party.

If you are planning on burning weenies or burgers, I can volunteer my Weber grill, which can handle some of the incineration.

Also, I may be able to bring a long folding table, if that's needed. Just let me know about any of this stuff. I'll need to do a little organizing of my own if you want this stuff.

Hey Sylmartians. This will be a great family-type gathering, with lots of stuff for everyone, except beer, which the County does not allow on the beach.

Freddy, I will also man the information booth in an effort to seduce innocent bystanders to become air junkies, like us. Boooowaahaha!
But I won't do it the whole time. We need a few other people who are interested in growing the Club to help out.

Any volunteers? Hello? Is this thing on?
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Larry and All,

Details are coming together and yes, we need helpers as Freddy has mentioned.

Larry, Yes, thank you! Bring your Weber and a folding table. I am transporting the two shade structures and a couple small tables.

I am covering the booth for an hour. If you can cover an hour, too, that's great. Any one else willing to help for an hour?

I am working with Lisa to have an infomation, one-sheet available to give to interested persons. We need photos of Kagel and the LZ. Please bring photos (Freddy? All?) that you have to show the mountain and our flying site.

We need a BBQ volunteer. Is there anyone who will help us purchase food for 40 guests? If so, I will help by providing you a list of needed items. You would buy the food, bring it to the beach by 11:30am and provide the Club with a receipt for reimbursement.

In my opinion, site preservation would include supporting Dockweiler. The future of our club is directly related to students and newcomers. Thanks to all who are willing to support our sport and Dockweiler.

Lynn
Christian

Post by Christian »

I can work the booth. I will bring a 10x10 sun canopy. Can't commit to a time slot yet because the Sept. 9 soccer schedule not yet posted.

(If you have kids or spouse over 90 pounds, this is great opportunity for them to take discovery flights. I once brought a whole team of 12-yr-olds and parents and kids still talk about it.)
Lynn McLaughlin

Thanks, Christian!

I think we should be there by 11:30 to set up. Bring camp chairs too or we will have no place to sit :P

If you, or any of our members, have photos of Kagel and the LZ, please feel free to bring them for the SHGA booth.

Lynn
Christian

Post by Christian »

What spectators might enjoy are a couple of laptop computers under the tent.

One with a continuous slide show of pilots launching and flying Kagel ("200 Pictures from Kagel Launch" perhaps).

The other with Phill's "Sylmar Video" running looped.

Just an idea, since I dont own a laptop.
Lynn McLaughlin

I like the idea. If someone has a laptop we can use, it's worth giving it a try. It was pointed out, however, that the brightness of the beach will make it difficult to see images on a TV or PC monitor.

Lynn
Steve Clark

Post by Steve Clark »

Hey Freddy,
I'm a former member soon to be current member and if it's ok I'd like to bring: Grill#3, Cooler#2 and my LapTop

Steve
Christian

Post by Christian »

sun canopy and two chairs arriving 11:30