Mingus Mt for Memorial Day weekend

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Steve90266

Mingus Mt for Memorial Day weekend

Post by Steve90266 »

I'm heading back to Mingus Mtn, Az for another camping/flying trip. I would welcome any H-3+ pilots to join me. Mingus is an awesome campsite/launch. It's about an 8-10 hour drive, depending on how heavy your foot is. Don Banas made it in about 7 hours. Bring a tent, sleeping bag, the usual camping gear.

The Arizona Hang Gliding Association http://www.azhpa.org/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=172 owns the campsite, and it's just steps from the campsite to launch, which is at 7815 ft MSL. You launch into a beautiful valley. Pilots get up above 14K on a regular basis there. The place is epic and definitely worth the drive.

If you want more information, just let me know.

Steve M
Steve Murillo
r8pistol

Post by r8pistol »

I'm in for this Steve.

Also looking to take some weekend, or overnight trips to Funston, Marina, Big Sur too as the Spring gets underway.
Steve90266

Mingus

Post by Steve90266 »

By the sound of your post, I take it this is Robb D? Consider yourself on the list for Mingus!

Let's keep an eye on the weather up at Marina and Funston. It should start to heat up at the end of March, early April. Max and I are already talking about this. Richard Shaw and others may join in. We've got a place to crash at Marina, and Alex Wright is up at Funston, so we should be dialed in. Get your knee hanger out for Marina and bring your pod for Funston.

We are also targeting a club trip to Hurricane, Utah for the 4th of July. Camping, heat but some BIG AIR!
Steve Murillo
r8pistol

Post by r8pistol »

OK, count me in for all of that...
gregangsten

Mingus on Memorial Day

Post by gregangsten »

I'm planning on it also if we can drum up a reasonable quorum. We should drag Jay along since he is the only one here with real experience there. I had a nice flight there the summer before last and can vouch for the quality of the site and the campground on top of the mountain. Time to get this together.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

I might be in provided scheduling can work out....
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

I'm interested too.
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

I may be in for that trip as well.
OP

Post by OP »

Drive: http://goo.gl/maps/R2i3G
What's the traffic like? I think most river bros take the 40 to havasu. Just have to play "escape from la" till Palmsprings, should be clear there out.
Launch: http://goo.gl/maps/9Ih8L
Primary LZ: http://goo.gl/maps/jonzb
Notice the Muni you have to clear by 2000'
Bailout: http://goo.gl/maps/8rFxv
gregangsten

Cottonwood Airport

Post by gregangsten »

More info on the airport available here:
http://www.azhpa.org/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=172.

We will arrange to talk to a local at launch who can give out the airport stickers.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

from the link above:

A helmet sticker is REQUIRED to land at Cottonwood Airport. Helmet stickers are available by attending a training session in person, or by following the online test. If you successfully pass the online test you will be provided with a printable document that will serve as your "temporary helmet sticker" until we can get you a real one.

For more information, on Mingus Launch and landings at Cottonwood Airport, please contact an AHGA club officer (link available on the main page) or sign up in our forums and ask for additional information and support.

sadly, the domain that this page links to apparently expired a month ago......lol.
gregangsten

stickers

Post by gregangsten »

I wouldn't worry about it. Better to have someone on launch go through it with you and point out the locations. Also, landing there is better avoided anyway. Plan on the 10th St. LZ or go over the back.
OP

Post by OP »

PG record is near Tucson. What are the classic routes so I can look into it?
gregangsten

Routes

Post by gregangsten »

OP, Jay is the man to ask, he flew there for years. You can always go on the AZHPA web forum too.
MikeI

Post by MikeI »

I'm definitely interested in going. I'm willing to drive some folks there, but will probably be visiting my brother in Phoenix on the return trip, so I'll probably leave a day early.

Since Steve can no longer make it, has anyone taking over the planning lead from him yet? Sounds like there's 6-7 of us interested in going from this thread.
Don

Re: stickers

Post by Don »

gregangsten wrote:Better to have someone on launch go through it with you and point out the locations. Also, landing there is better avoided anyway. Plan on the 10th St. LZ or go over the back.
As of Labor Day 2012 - the airport was the primary LZ. The primary location being on the North end (you have to clear a 8' chain link fence on final - ask me how I know :? ). Nothing personal to Jay - but "conditions" change frequenty - talk to a local that is flying there in 2013. It is also nice if you could drive down there and "walk" the area. As for going over the back - depending on the wind, you need something like 12K msl - about 4k above launch.
gregangsten

Mingus on Memorial Day

Post by gregangsten »

I guess I can be the point man here, for what it's worth. I am planning to drive out with wife Nurit and will be camping there on top. I should get there on Friday, drive home on Monday since she is short on vacation days.
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Somebody at work has surrounding vacation days taken so I can not go. I flew there 10 years ago and I still consider it the most beautiful places I've flown. I helped make the bail out. It is long but down hill and very easy to overshoot. I used to land at the airport (no stickers required when I flew). It was fairly easy but it often had a 45 degree crosswind. Normal XC route was across the Verde Valley to Sedona, get high to cross the Mogion Rim, then north east, aiming toward I40 the east of Flagstaff. I have done the 50-60 mile trip a few times. People have gotten to New Mexico following I40. Over the back at Mingus is uncommon because the westerly's come though around noon to 1pm. There have been flights made to Seligman along I40 going over the back. My best was only 22miles.
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

Wow Jay, what a trooper. Your last day at work ever and you are pitching in to cover somebody else.
WingNutz

Post by WingNutz »

Mingus trip changed to Owens Trip?

Greg Angsten can't get out of town on Friday, and proposes we take a trip to the Owens instead of driving six hours to Arizona. I can take my Suburban. I propose flying Saturday, Sunday and Monday - - driving back Monday p.m.

Who's in?

Who can recruit a driver?

Do you want to camp or stay in Motels (availability is tight Memorial Day weekend) I have reserved two rooms at the Dow Villa in the old hotel ( no bathrooms in the room - go down the hall) Each room has two single beds. Some can camp at either Tuttle Creek or the campground in town.
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee