Yosemite 2013

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

hgflyboy

Yosemite 2013

Post by hgflyboy »

Hey there BirdPeople! It's that time again - I've signed-up to monitor at Yosemite the weekend of June 22-23. We had a dry winter this year, so hopefully going this early we'll still have enough water in the river to go rafting.

To sign up, go to http://yhga.org/signup.htm and make your reservation. You must be a Hang-4 with a current USHGA membership card. The usual camping spot is Bridal Veil Creek Campground, which is first-come, first-served. If someone is going early and is willing to grab sites for others, it would be a big help.
hgflyboy

NEWS FLASH

Post by hgflyboy »

I little bird just whispered in my ear that Bridal Veil Creek campground is not scheduled to open until July 12. I talked with the people at Yosemite; while there's no guarantee, they say it is likely to open earlier this year since we had a dry winter. I'll post any updates here as I receive them. In the meantime, go ahead and sign up for June 22-23 and we'll just see what happens!
Groundhog

Opps! -- Malicious Web Site Blocked

Post by Groundhog »

Oh No! YHGA.org has been hacked, so go onto the YHGA website at your own peril! In any case, I wanna go in a non-flying capacity, and will chase Dave and anyone else who makes River Margaritas.

http://yhga.org/signup.htm is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site. There are security risks on this site. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.
cgemme

Where do you guys launch from and what time of day?

Post by cgemme »

I'll be up there on that week anyhow. Not planning of flying though, But I'd like to check it out if I can.

Corey G. >jjj<0
gregangsten

Re: Where do you guys launch from and what time of day?

Post by gregangsten »

cgemme wrote:I'll be up there on that week anyhow. Not planning of flying though, But I'd like to check it out if I can.

We launch from Glacier Point between 7 and 8 AM so get up early. If the Bridalveil Creek campground doesn't open in time, we will all be at your campsite. How big is your tent?
cgemme

Post by cgemme »

Thanks for your reply, just a few more questions if you dont mind.

What days are you launching?

Are you only allowed to launch in that 7-8am window and where and when do you all typically land.

Do you get ridge lift or thermals at that time?

Can I contact anybody while I'm there via text or phone to find the latest info?

Thanks a bunch.
Corey G. >jjj<0
Frederick

Post by Frederick »

I'd signed up on the Yosemite HG club site a few weeks ago, but have had a schedule change such that I cannot go, unfortunately. I just entered a cancellation on the YHGC website.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

What are the current thoughts on the camping situation? I wouldn't mind a yosemite trip but it seems tad unclear if i would actually have a place to camp or stay if I drove up there....

edit: Lots of room at crane flat but the drive up to glacier point is significantly longer from there.

Diabetic Mike
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

Mike, we are still waiting to hear if Bridalveil Creek campground will be open in time. If it isn't, we probably won't go. If it is, some people generally get there early enough to grab enough sites for us.
hgflyboy

Post by hgflyboy »

Today I talked with the Yosemite campground people. Bridalveil Creek Campground will not be open until July 12. This pretty well hoses our usual camping party. I will still monitor the weekend of June 22-23 in case anyone decides to come and take their chances with accommodations.

Barton has signed up to monitor July 20-21, and copied everyone's sign-ups from June 22-23 to July 20-21. Those people still are signed-up for June 22-23 as well, so if you decide not to go for one or both weekends, please send a cancellation request at yhga.org.

My apologies for the hassle this has caused. Everyone, please thank Barton for picking up the slack on this one. Hopefully next winter we'll have lots of rain and snow so we can do some proper rafting and partying!

Will
barton

Post by barton »

edited 6.20.2018
Last edited by barton on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Just FYI, the weekend of July 27/28 will also have a monitor - me. If you can go with the club, that's always nicer, but if anyone wants to come up the following weekend instead or in addition, I'll be there to monitor.

Also, I plan on being available as monitor four full days: Friday 26th-Monday 29th.

Oh, and I can sign folks up until July 15th (then I'll on vacation through my time in Yosemite.) Just PM me through this site, or email me: [email protected]
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

Any first time Yosemite flyers?