Hurricane revival

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

gregangsten

Hurricane revival

Post by gregangsten »

How many people would be up for a Hurricane Utah trip over the July 4th week/weekend? I think I am.

Recent trips have HQ'd at the Red Ledge Campground in Kannaraville where it's a little cooler for camping.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... _Utah.html

Flying is from the Hurricane Ridge south of there and Cedar City to the north.

Let me know if you are in and I will reserve campsites soon.
Last edited by gregangsten on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregangsten

Why go?

Post by gregangsten »

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Not sure if I can make it or not, but I'm interested. Regardless, I hope some in the club do it anyway. It's a great adventure, that people who never did it should try.
Flyyyyy
ajnanyc

Post by ajnanyc »

I would definitely be interested, count me in.
gregangsten

Hurricane revival

Post by gregangsten »

Oh, all you secret posters. OK "S7", I'll count you in.

All, here is a suggestion. You drive back on Sunday, July 7 dirty and ugly from camping. You spend Sunday night in Vegas, take Monday off and drive home from Vegas with no traffic.

So where is everybody? I thought there was some enthusiasm for this trip.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

So where is everybody? I thought there was some enthusiasm for this trip.
There may be some, but I think a lot of people never visit this forum. Put a sign up in the LZ.
Flyyyyy
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

I would be in if I didn't already have (flying) plans for that weekend. Site looks awesome though. Perhaps another time!

Diabetic Mike
Don

I'm interested.

Post by Don »

I'm interested
Steve90266

Hurricane

Post by Steve90266 »

I'm interested.
Steve Murillo
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Hurricane in 2013

Post by Ken Andrews »

Count me in! I can't help much with driver logistics, but if it comes to it, I'm willing to draw straws.

Some of my most memorable flights have been at Hurricane. One of my first cross-country flights (an an inter-state flight at that) went twenty miles south along the Hurricane cliffs into Arizona on a Falcon in 2003. Technically, there is a retrieve road along the base of those cliffs, but it gets pretty sketchy along the way. In 2005, Chris Smith and I were on U2's, and under Hungary Joe's guidance, both of us logged cross-country flights three days in a row of up to 60 miles from Cedar Mountain and Graff Point. In 2008, a group of us worked on cross-country flights over the back from the Hurricane launch. Greg Angsten flew 100 miles east; Chad Margolin kept going to Page, Arizona, about 140 miles from launch.

Then again, this is big air. My all-time scariest flight was there in 2006, as I reported on the forum here. Ask Max sometime about landing in a postage-stamp sized logging camp on the side of a mountain while going backwards. One pilot crashed into a cliff and the local fire crews spent much of a day rescuing him. Another broke his glider in the air and came down under parachute. This air demands a lot of respect.

There are also plenty of non-flying adventures. To begin with, we usually camp in Kanarraville, and the entire one-stop-sign town welcomes us. The Virgin River is an easy cross-country glide from the Hurricane launch and is the perfect place for a swim. Zion National Park is just down the road, and Bryce isn't that far away. I have a friend at work who tells ridiculously exaggerated stories about the hike to Angel's Landing in Zion. I did that hike in 2008, and jeepers! Either my brain was addled by the heat (105 degrees that day) or every word he said was true. We won't talk about the hot springs on private property that greatly entertained some incorrigible pilots in 2005. I'm told that Gooseberry Mesa is nationally known for its mountain biking trails. If Springdale has steadied their collective nerves after nearly burning down the town a few years ago, they may even have Fourth of July fireworks.
hgflyboy

Post by hgflyboy »

I'm in!
gregangsten

Hurr'kin

Post by gregangsten »

I called Red Ledge campground and reserved 4 tent sites and a hookup for my teardrop. If we need more I expect we will be able to get them. Let me know if you want to claim a spot and I'll keep track of them. Stake your claim.

They also have these little cabins for rent. Call them if you want to rent one or ask about it. (435) 586-9150

http://www.passport-america.com/campgro ... oundId=207
Steve90266

Hurricane

Post by Steve90266 »

Greg, put me down for a camping spot. Probably just me, possibly my wife if she trade a day.

Steve M.
Steve Murillo
gregangsten

Tired of inversions?

Post by gregangsten »

Tired of inversions? Here's today's boundary layer height:

Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Hurricane camping

Post by Ken Andrews »

Please count me in for a tent site as well. My tentative plan is to drive out Thursday, July 4, and arrive just in time for an evening flight at Hurricane Ridge and a swim in the Virgin river on the way to Kanarraville. We then draw straws as necessary to see who flies and who drives chase on Friday and Saturday, and drive home on Sunday, hopefully before the road silts up with traffic from Las Vegas. This plan doesn't make allowance for watching fireworks though, so it'll probably have to change.

However it works out, I'm open to carpooling, and/or offering glider transportation.
Don

Plan Change

Post by Don »

Going to New Mexico instead. Hope to fly Villa Grove or Alburquerque. Have fun in Utah.
gregangsten

Driver

Post by gregangsten »

Nurit is coming and will drive for us... most of the time.
We're going to spend one day in Zion.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

awkward time for this......but.....I might be interested in going as well.....if there is room.

.......we shall see....... :oops:

Diabetic Mike
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

Sure, Mike. All these fence sitters are waiting to see which side everyone else will drop on. Just do it.
ajnanyc

Post by ajnanyc »

I would like to get some details of the trip. What day is everyone meeting up there to fly? Are the majority of you sharing rides or going solo? Any additional activities in the vicinity? If I bring my mountain bike and kayak I will still have room for 2 gliders and a pilot if anybody is interested.

Sony