Owens Trip, labor day?

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

MikeL

Owens Trip, labor day?

Post by MikeL »

Hello all,

Would anyone be interested in going to the Owens valley during labor day weekend (sept 2)?

Cheers,
Diabetic Mike
r8pistol

Post by r8pistol »

yes, I'd be interested...
gregangsten

Owens

Post by gregangsten »

Well, I'm always interested, but not without a driver and a few more people.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get out to lone pine tomorrow evening to camp and then see what is going on the following morning (which may include a long drive towards sweetwater if conditions look good there, I'm not sure yet). That said. As things stand now I was going to have another glider brought from elsewhere for me to fly as I was not planning on bringing my own on my rackless car; but, if you are down to leave tomorrow, meeting tomorrow evening in the sylmar LZ and then heading out is certainly an option.

Let me know -- my cell is sevensixzero -622-six39six.

Mike
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

I plan to take the day off Friday and fly Kagel, then leave for Lone Pine from there. Arthur is also coming and it looks like we have a driver. I have room if anyone wants to join me but I want to leave ASAP after flying.
OP

Post by OP »

Solid southern flows up the valley during the weekend. This is good.

Problem is the T-Storm probability. The sierras are going to OD in random places. This is bad.

Anyone interested in bringing gliders with a solid alternative? I'm thinking Williamson and Tyndall. Alpine one day and grab two 14ers in one day.

Williamson is the second tallest peak in CA. Yet extremely unvisited and way more fun. Final chute is "class 3" meaning it has significant exposure, yet easy. It's like climbing a ladder(easy) yet if you fall off the ladder you die.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Today was fun although low. Could see a lot of SW up high in the cloud direction above the sierras but was light SE in the valley. I launched walts around 1030 before the OD got super scary and tried to punch through 11k around wynoga but couldn't quite get there (was probably doable but I was already basically at cloudbase and the clouds were getting scarier out west....) flew out to land at diaz lake, realized i'd done that before, and dicked around in light lift off the alabamas to get north of lone pine to land. Depending on if it again looks like it will OD tomorrow I may push to go either to garlock or north....although there is a lot of smoke to the north.

Michael
Dizzy

Monday

Post by Dizzy »

Do you plan to fly on Monday as well?
skydizzy.blogspot.com
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Yes I will be here Monday. Maybe even Tuesday....but probably not