Dahlsten Cup - September 14, 2013

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Lynn McLaughlin

Dahlsten Cup - September 14, 2013

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Sylmarians and Kagelites,

Time for some fun flying, our annual comp and chili cook off!

Based on the previous years success, Jeff Chipman informs me that we will have the following classes:

Dahlsten Cup (Open) Flex wing gliders only. Pilots compete for the Dahlsten cup, race around predetermined course with lowest overall time winning. Possibly two start times, scoring accomplished by GPS track log. Pilots need the new waypoints that have been updated with altitude and may have been adjusted slightly from previous comps. Pilots should also set their GPS to record/update as quickly as possible.

Sport Class (H3 & P3 pilots) Flexwing and paragliders compete in a race around a predetermined course (shorter than the open class). Idea of the sport class is to expose newer H3 pilots to the element of navigating a course using their GPS. Although topless gliders can enter this class it is normally reserved for kingposted gliders and paragliders.

See the separate forum entry for our Chili Cook off details and rules.
Comments? Questions? Bring them here...
FlyingSquirrel

In Memory of Dahlsten Cup 2012

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Can't wait for Dahlsten Cup 2013!!!

Here's a snippet of my flight during last year's Dahlsten Cup. It was also coincidentally my first tandem with Caitlin and first time flying tandem during a hang gliding competition. I hope others will share their memories in anticipation of this year's highly anticipated Dahlsten Cup "Hunger Games"

It's only 1:26 minutes...don't judge ;p

Enjoy!
Lynden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAVnwfeD ... e=youtu.be
Lynn McLaughlin

Looking for volunteers to help with set up, making spot landing circle, tracking spot landings for the contest.

Set up begins at 9am so there's time to help before you jump a truck for launch :-)

Separately, let me know if you plan to bring chili for the Chili Contest.

Soon we fly!

~L
Lynn McLaughlin

UPDATE: 2013 Dahlsten Cup Competition Information

There will be competitions in two classes:

Open Class – Any flex wing hang glider, USHPA & SHGA-qualified pilots only. RLF and XC sign off required. No handicap. Race to goal. Lap time over closed circuit. Scoring by GPS track log. Required to upload current waypoints on GPS day of meet. Pilots should also set their GPS to record/update as quickly as possible. Pilots compete for the Dahlsten cup.

Sport Class – Any flex wing hang glider, USHPA & SHGA-qualified pilots only. RLF and XC sign off required. Gliders handicapped. Race to goal. Lap time over closed circuit (shorter than the open class). Scoring by GPS track log. Required to upload current waypoints on GPS day of meet. Pilots should also set their GPS to record/update as quickly as possible.

Idea of the sport class is to expose newer H3 pilots to the element of navigating a course using their GPS. Although topless gliders can enter this class it is normally reserved for kingposted gliders.

Fees
Entry fee is $10 per pilot. Visiting pilots must pay an additional day use fee of $10.

Competition / Events Schedule
9:30 AM–10:30 AM Pilot Check-in and GPS registration
10:30 AM Pilots’ Meeting, required for all competitors
12:00 PM Launch window opens for all Classes
1:00 PM Start window opens for Sport Class and Fun Class
1:30 PM Start window opens for Open Class
4:00 PM BBQ Starts!
5:30 PM Awards Ceremony

Final competition details and launch window times will be announced one (1) week prior to the competition on the SHGA website, www.shga.com.

There is no “rain� date scheduled so please check www.shga.com the night before to confirm the comp is still on.
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

I don't think newer H3's are going to have an RLF and XC sign off... I sure don't. Why is this now a requirement?

I was looking forward to participating in the Sport Class too :(
Jim

Post by Jim »

I guess I'm out, too, Marshall. I only have TUR CL and AWCL on my H4.

And when did we start charging for the comp? Is the fee payable to Chip since it's his investment and time that make this happen? Otherwise, isn't this a club activity, supported by dues?

Maybe we should also charge for food, as Crestline does and call this a fund-raiser.
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

I agree with Jim. And I guess I will be sitting this out with him as well since I don't have the required sigh off either. Wouldn't it just make more sense to get as many entries as possoble and then make a conservative task?
JD

Post by JD »

Jim wrote:I guess I'm out, too, Marshall. I only have TUR CL and AWCL on my H4.

And when did we start charging for the comp? Is the fee payable to Chip since it's his investment and time that make this happen? Otherwise, isn't this a club activity, supported by dues?

Maybe we should also charge for food, as Crestline does and call this a fund-raiser.
I believe Lynn left off the part where a USDA permit is required before entrants may allow others to sample their chili in the cook-off.

I have the required USHPA (not to be confused with USDA) sign-offs so I guess I win by default but I'm not paying any entry fee so I'm out too. Nobody pays me dick for my videos which are produced at no small cost to me. It's looking more and more like an Elsinore day...
Don

WOW - what a mis-step!

Post by Don »

"Open Class ... RLF and XC sign off required.

Sport Class ... RLF and XC sign off required.

Entry fee is $10 per pilot."

I suspect this will be "discussed at Saturday's Board Meeting.
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

Yes Don, this certainly will be discussed at the meeting. I am strongly opposed to both the fee and the RLF / XC requirement and will be arguing to ditch it. Seems most of the BOD knew nothing of this before it appeared on the flyer.
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Dahlsten Cup entry changes

Post by Ken Andrews »

This morning, the board decided that there will not be a competition entry fee, and RLF and XC sign-offs will not be required. The board's intent is to encourage members to participate, have fun, and perhaps learn something along the way.

It's worth noting that even at the same site and in the same weather, risks are higher in a competition setting. Whether or not one has the RLF and XC sign-offs, there is the temptation to push one's boundaries a little more than usual. That's part of the challenge, but the laws of physics don't make exceptions for competitions. Please keep it fun and fly safe!
Lynn McLaughlin

Ken,

Thanks for updating the Forum with this information. I received overwhelming support in favor of waiving the entry fee, day fee and the XC and RLF sign offs. So, the purpose of our Dahlsten Cup (and Spring Air Festival) is better clarified - not a fund raiser but a great, fun event that encourages as much participation as possible

Thanks to all who responded via forum and to me personally. I appreciate the feedback!

Please extend this information to all flying friends and encourage them to come out for a great day of fun and flying!

Lynn

PS ~ Please consider entering the Chili Contest as well :D