SPRING AIR Festival June 6th

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Cyndia

SPRING AIR May 16

Post by Cyndia »

Mark your calendars for our Annual Spring Air on May 16. More details coming.

If you are willing to volunteer to help with the event, we need assistance in the following areas:

Setup (be there at 9:00 to get the table, sound, etc all set up) This will not interfere with flying!

Spot Landing Monitor

Tear Down

If you are willing to help, please CONTACT CYNDIA ([email protected]) and she'll put you on the list. The more hands we have helping, the more fun for everyone!
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

I've begun the initial setup of the competition on SoaringSpot

I could use some pictures if anyone has some they would like to share.

I've uploaded the entry form into the downloads section of SoaringSpot. So if you want to come prepared, download the form and fill it out before you arrive on the 16th.

I imported pilots from last years contest so some of that is already showing on the SoaringSpot page, no pressure about showing up if you are not coming.

Will be best if you remove all other track logs before showing up on the 16th.

We ran an instrument clinic last week and a practice comp on Sunday. We undercalled the task as most of the pilots went to BigT after completing the task.

I think most things will go well regarding the scoring. Just need weather to come through :roll:
Chip
Site Admin

Novice Class Added to Spring Air

Post by Chip »

Novice Class - Designed primarily for H2's and low time H3's (paragliders can participate as well, but the landing circle will be much tighter). Task will be a duration contest with a landing accuracy multiplier. Pilots will be scored for longest duration minus any deductions for landing inaccuracies. If pilots land within the spot circle, then all of their flight time will be counted. If pilots land outside of the spot circle, flight time will be reduced by some factor to be determined (ie. outside circle by 10 feet, flight time in minutes * .9 = scored flight time). We'll likely identify these pilots with a streamer tied to the rear wires or one of the wing tips.
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Jeff, Thank you very much for helping us create and define a Novice Class for the Spring Air event. Pilots have expressed an interest in having an additional class geared toward those interested in growing in to more advanced skills. Plus, by adding this class I think it adds more fun to the day.
OP

Post by OP »

Can we prohibit people from playing 'oldies' music at this years spring air? It's geriatric, makes our club look bad.

No:
'free bird'
'wheel in the sky'
'stairway to heaven'
whatever 'tom petty' is or was

I don't know who keeps bringing that ipod full of this shit to our event. But I'll be looking out this year.
Lynn McLaughlin

Okie-Dokey OP

You're On!

Bring your IPod...
OP

Post by OP »

I say we just play wheel in the sky on a continuous loop. Man this song never gets old.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxGEVIvSFeY[/youtube]
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Jim

Post by Jim »

[quote="OP"]I say we just play wheel in the sky on a continuous loop. Man this song never gets old.

I'm surprised, Opie. I would have thought you'd opt for "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'". Kind of like comfort food for your ears, I imagine.

Sorry, Doug, Jon Anderson is a bit esoteric for the rest of us. Pick another.
What am I saying?:roll: :?: :o
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Jim, it is pompous, esoteric, and meanders, but it does reflect what Sea World is doing and its relation to Paraglider Puppy Mills.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxD0IQQeUYg[/youtube]
Jim

Post by Jim »

I think you've used this one before, Doug. And George Lazenby was the worst Bond this side of David Niven. I think you should look up some good ol' John Deutschendorf. You might even find something Opie likes. It's either that or Death Cab for Cutie. No, wait! Try Bjork, possibly Lady Gaga.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

This was way over used as background music for Hang Glider videos.
Looks like most were taken down from youtube though.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaw25N8yxNY[/youtube]

"...Something in the air that makes the feeling so complete
I'm living as a warrior that can never know defeat
And the battle rages on
'Til the brightness of the sun is gone, gone away

Look on high, to the hill
To the place where time stood still
Then you'll see there's no returning
From a heart where love is burning
How can men hope to hide
Blinded by their pride..."
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wPy9A84aX0[/youtube]

Lynn has always done a great job!
Mike Blankenhorn

Post by Mike Blankenhorn »

How about some German industrial metal and punk like Rammstein, Megaherz or Dritte Wahl.
Now that we have good wifi why not use spotify that way we are not limited to someone's ipod favorites.
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn
Mike Blankenhorn

Post by Mike Blankenhorn »

OP wrote:Can we prohibit people from playing 'oldies' music at this years spring air? It's geriatric, makes our club look bad.

No:
'free bird'
'wheel in the sky'
'stairway to heaven'
whatever 'tom petty' is or was

I don't know who keeps bringing that ipod full of this shit to our event. But I'll be looking out this year.
Absolutely add Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Flogging Molly or anything else that to some people only sounds awesome when drunk. No drunk-punk!
I'll help with the music police and punishment for any infractions will result in a half hour Yoko Ono marathon
Take Care,
Mike Blankenhorn
Lynn McLaughlin

Mike and OP, Keep up the music enthusiasm and be sure to bring it with you to the Spring Air event, now scheduled for Sat June 6th.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Updated soaringspot web link after they upgraded their entire site this weekend

Sylmar Spring Air 2015

Entry forms and waypoints
Chip
Site Admin

Live Tracking for Spring Air

Post by Chip »

A long time coming but over the last few years, we've seen a lot of progress in this field. Enough so that we can give it a try.

Our event is now published on Airtribune and you can go and register for the comp and download the app to you android device. Sorry you rich iPhone users are out of luck, it's not supported.

See me in the LZ if you are having trouble. It would be best if you get it figured out before next Saturday as I will be plenty busy getting everything setup before going up the hill and I'm not likely to have the bandwidth to help you.

I'll be out today to practice using the app with Rob, Jay, and myself to see how well the tracking part works. Not sure it will be live though.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Mike Ivey gave me some good feedback yesterday as far as filling out the registration form. Here's some hints as to how you should fill out some of the fields:

Participant number: Enter any number you like, if it's available it's all yours, just needs to be unique for the comp.

Mobile tel number: Make sure you put a "1" in front of the area code, without the quotes.

FAI license number: Not required. If you have one you will already know you have one because you've competed internationally.

CIVL ID: Not required. If you have competed in a national event you can look it up.

T-shirt size: Why? Because most comps give you a t-shirt. We will not be doing that because our comp is free. This is a required field.

Insurance company: Just put down USHPA

Insurance policy number: Put your USHPA number in this field

Contact phone number in case of emergency: Once again do not forget the "1" in front of the area code
Chip
Site Admin

Upload photos to airtribune

Post by Chip »

Using the airtribune app, Pilots can send photos from their smartphones directly to competition dayblog after they do check-in.

Would encourage all that are participating to do so
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Here's what the task looked like on Airtribune yesterday. This was a practice task OUTSIDE of the comp, so no one could actually fly it, but wanted to see what would appear on the web site.

Hoping we get a few others that are willing to signup for the live tracking. I'll be available to assist a few pilots before all of the activities get really hectic.

Hoping the weather participates.