Yosemite

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

gregangsten

Yosemite

Post by gregangsten »

It looks like Barton dropped out on monitoring Yosemite on July 20, but there is a new monitor to replace him. I had signed up then for that date, but in the meantime, George Stebbins came in to monitor on the following weekend on the 27th. To make things more complicated, Rob B. picked the 27th for his annual summer party.
So, who is in for Yosemite this year?? ...and for when? I guess we can't abandon the party (unless they want to move it a week) so that makes it the weekend of the 20th. I plan to go up several days early to make sure of a camp spot. Don't we have some new H4s that need to be broken in? I'll be there with my boat. Who's in? Use it or loose it!

The calendar is https://www.yosemitehg.org/calendar and the sign-up page is the home page, https://www.yosemitehg.org/.
MikeI

Re: Yosemite

Post by MikeI »

Count me as one new H4 ready to finally give Yosemite a shot.
Steve90266

Post by Steve90266 »

Pat and I would like to attend on the 20th or the 27th. We're fairly flexible. Just let us know what the group decides to do.
Steve Murillo
vannoppen

Post by vannoppen »

I plan on going for at least a couple of days over the 20th
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

I would like to do Yosemite but probably only for the weekend itself, no extra days.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

One thing to note that is different this year. There has been a lot of extra snow very late. Then rain. The road to Glacier point road was open, then closed, then open, then closed, then open. The river is higher than normal for this time of year. Bridalveil Creek Campground will likely open later than normal this year (Current estimate is Aug 1st!) The LZ may be wetter than normal later than normal. Or not.

The point is, go, have fun, (I plan on it) but please check the Park Service web site for road and campground details before going. There are other campgrounds, they are just not as convenient for early access to launch. And most (not all) are reservation only.

Campground status: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... .htm#table
Conditions: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

Good luck, and have fun no matter when you go.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

So maybe we should plan for August? We usually avoided it then because we wanted more water in the river but that should be OK this year. Sounds like it is more likely to be a sure thing. I've already had one trip to Yosemite cancelled this year due to a closed campground so I would prefer to bet on August.
Other opinions?
Any monitors want to step up?
First or third weekend?
Steve90266

Post by Steve90266 »

I'm cool with August. Spaces out all the little adventures to other places. Like Hurricane for the 4th of July! Any takers?
Steve Murillo
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

Steve90266 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:37 am I'm cool with August. Spaces out all the little adventures to other places. Like Hurricane for the 4th of July! Any takers?
Yeah, I was just reopening this to say the same thing. Was checking out houses to rent there this morning and we can do it again. I (and I think "we") would be in. An example.

It would be a shame to let all that work Ken et.al. did on the road go to waste!
arthur

Post by arthur »

Greg, are you suggesting Aug 17-18 then bleeding into Andy's Mon and Tue?
If so you arrange it and I will monitor.
vannoppen

Post by vannoppen »

As the weekend of 7/20 works well for me I’ll be watching the camping issue closely as I can’t go on those August dates.
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

vannoppen wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:56 am As the weekend of 7/20 works well for me I’ll be watching the camping issue closely as I can’t go on those August dates.
It looks to me that Bridalveil won't be open until Aug. 1, if then, so I think I need to shoot for August unless things change.
Greg, are you suggesting Aug 17-18 then bleeding into Andy's Mon and Tue?
If so you arrange it and I will monitor.
Yeah Arthur, maybe that's the best shot. I think I would try to be there by Thursday morning myself to insure a site. Hard to imagine the river running well at that point but this year, maybe. Check out the falls now:
https://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/web ... mite-falls
arthur

Post by arthur »

Ok Greg, I'm signing up to monitor Aug 17-18, will try to be there for flying on Friday morning if it works out.
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

OK, I'm in. I see from the calendar that Erika is too. Probably Steve M? Mike I.?
Steve90266

Post by Steve90266 »

August 17th and 18th it is! Pat and I will be there with bells on!
Steve Murillo
arthur

Post by arthur »

Lots of non-Sylmar people are signing up for Yosemite, if you are thinking about going it would be wise to sign up soon.
You could always cancel later.
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

If anyone needs a glider ride there, I have plenty of room for it. Also if you want to spend a little more time up there and hike around, etc. and can come up earlier, I'll have room for a body or two as well.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

As of today, Tuesday 6/25/19, the Park Service web site for Yosemite has Bridalveil Creek campground opening on July 15th. (A Monday.)

Just thought you'd all like to know. That means that the Dave Bakke weekend(7/20 & 21), and my weekend (7/27 & 28) should have the campground open. Assuming they don't run into any unexpected issues getting it ready.

Have fun whenever you go!
gregangsten

Post by gregangsten »

God, this is getting complicated.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

But it is actually better.

Aug 1st or later: No change - You can camp at Bridalveil.
Jul 15th-Aug 1st: Now you can camp at Bridalveil, when you couldn't before.
July 15th or earlier: No change - you still have to find somewhere else to camp.