2007 SIBL Ball Drop March 3rd

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Lucky 13

2007 SIBL Ball Drop March 3rd

Post by Lucky 13 »

It's that time again, and I need at least 4 volunteers for this event. It's the baseball drop for opening day, March 3rd, the first Sat. of March. We need a safe hang 5 pilot, sorry, no aerobatics that day, and 3-4 people on the ground on radio. E-mail me if you can help. Chris Wolters Activities Director SHGA. And while you are here reading this, don't forget the Feb. 19th Condor cleanup. It's on a Monday, but you can always say you are sick.
SHGA Communications

Post by SHGA Communications »

Activity Director Chris Wolters says he's rounded up all the volunteers he needs for this event, so stop by to see the action. Check the home page for weather updates.

March 3, 2007
SIBL Ball Drop
Sylmar Independent Baseball League (SIBL) is a baseball league for children and teenagers. Their ballpark is right next door to our landing zone. Each year at their opening ceremonies, one of our members drops the game ball (attached to a parachute) . This is, of course, weather permitting. It's a big event for SIBL, and always fun to watch, as the pilot generally lands in one of the unused baseball diamonds. Typically the ball drop happens in the late morning, around 10 or 11 o'clock.
lswendt

Post by lswendt »

The pilot who's been dropping the ball for the past several years is George Stebbins. It's not an easy job either. A couple of years ago he launched the back because it was blowing down. As we all know, this time of year the wind direction is less than predictable.

Good luck George!

lw
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I'm the guy who does the parachute drop.

The weather as of this moment looks pretty iffy. I will look at the weather on Friday before 8 pm and post here what we plan on doing.

Currently, the forecast is for winds to be in the N-NNW direction and around 20. That's too strong and not NE enough. However, timing of the high pressure movement could make a big difference, so we'll wait and see.

So, if you want to come out and watch or help, pay attention to this space for details.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Good Luck George and all!

For years SHGA has supported SIBL Opening Day. They understand the importance of safety and you've always made the right choice in terms of launching (or not).

One year your timing was so perfect that one of the kids caught the ball in mid-air!
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Thanks, Lynn.

Unfortunately, the weather is not cooperating. It is now clear that the odds of a safe launchable window when they want it are almost zero. It was too windy today, and tomorrow looks worse.

So, I am offically chickening out. He who flys and runs away, lives to fly another day. Or something like that.

Thanks to all who offered their help, and would have given it, had the weather cooperated.

Maybe next year.
JT

Post by JT »

George: you wimp!

It's blowing a mere 20+mph at my house, here on Roxford. Can't be more than 40 from the north up on top.

Be a man; do the right thing! :lol:
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Really George... you're such a weenie :P
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I don't see either of you two up on top in a Falcon! :wink:

Besides, I just didn't want to scare the kids at SIBL. Landing backwards would freak them out. And I doubt they could catch the ball on the parachute as it whipped by at 20+ miles an hour.... :o
greblo

Post by greblo »

George;
All went surprisingly well for us at the SIBL Opening Ceremonies. SIBL President thanked us for not taking risks and invited us back next year. I was approached by newly elected City Councilman Richard Alarcon and asked to get him and his new girlfriend in the air tandem soon. And our LA County Supervisor, Zev Yaroslavsky (some say he's one of the 5 most powerful men in southern California) spent time with me discussing his next tandem flight.

So all in all, we are doing a good job of nurturing our political relationships.

Thanks for your efforts and those of Chris Walters, Lynn and Lisa.
Joe