2010 Dahlsten Cup Results

Moderator: Comp Committee

Chip
Site Admin

2010 Dahlsten Cup Results

Post by Chip »

Here's the results of the 2010 Dahlsten Cup

The first link is for the official results

This second link is for the results if we did not include leading points. This is a nice comparision to show raw time. It clearly shows who completed the course quickly even with the penalty.

Will post the Sport class when I get the last track log imported
JD

Re: 2010 Dahlsten Cup Results

Post by JD »

Chip wrote:Here's the results of the 2010 Dahlsten Cup...........
Jeff - Thank you for all your work on managing the race data and posting the results. My time was 1:45 on my vario but would have been a few minutes longer had I hung w/ BudRob and SeaBass and jumped from the Towers exit circle then tagged the West Towers TP radius. I don't care about my race standing or lack thereof, as much as I do about following Steven Pearson's advice of attending comps in order to improve my XC flying by learning to fly more efficiently. Saturday's results show a big improvement over my 2009 results and so I am satisfied that my flying is moving in the right direction. An added bonus to the Dahlston Cup Race was that I was running two GoPro HD cameras in interval still mode and recorded 2300 images during and after the race.

I thought Ronaldo's call of tagging Little Lukens was a great aspect of the course planning and the weather and turnout were both very good.

Cheers, Jonathan

Chip
Site Admin

IGC Files

Post by Chip »

I was able to convert all of the KML files back to IGC and will make them available (compressed to a zip file) within the next few days.

For those of you that would rather have the KML files for google earth I'll post them as well.

Using flight analysis software you'll be able to see how the real pros do it. Of particular interest is how well Kraig Coomber does. You actually see the lack of climbing and many long glides.

Kraig took the last start clock and caught Jay and I around little lukens. So at that point he had already made up 15 minutes in just half the course. From that point on he seemed to fly a bit more conservatively. Jay, Kraig and I were together until after the second time to West Towers. I ended up taking a more front line leaving West Towers thinking this would be faster as the lift lines "typically" do that.

Kraig and Jay drove in deeper behind the 1500 and were rewarded with a strong climb. I adjusted but to late. They had 500' on me and left.

I followed but had to now settle on playing my own game from that point on.

I'll have a better analysis on my own flying later (if you care)