Links to flying related videos.
JD

Post by JD »

Last edited by JD on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

In clear violation of Class C Burbank airspace (3000 msl - 4800 msl), surface to 4800 in some places. Had you actually gotten to the Verdugo's there would be no question as to the violation.

Pilots must establish and maintain two-way radio communications with the ATC facility providing air traffic control services prior to entering airspace. Two-way radio communications capability and Mode C transponder. Operations above Class C airspace require operating Mode C transponder.

Your self grandiosing is reaching new heights.

What do you believe you are actually "teaching" other pilots?
JD

Post by JD »

Last edited by JD on Thu May 31, 2012 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

Looks perfectly legal to me.
In the link you provided:
http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/sa02.pdf

Go to page 5:
Airspace in Detail: Class C
...To operate inside or above Class C airspace, all aircraft are required to have a Mode C transponder (up to 10,000 msl)...
SeeYou has a feature to check airspace violations and here is what it tell about your flight:

15:16:20: Entering Class C BURBANK-GLENDALE-PASADENA AIRPORT CLASS C at 1436m.
15:16:58: Leaving Class C BURBANK-GLENDALE-PASADENA AIRPORT CLASS C at 1467m.

17:27:44: Entering Class C BURBANK-GLENDALE-PASADENA AIRPORT CLASS C at 1114m.
17:28:55: Leaving Class C BURBANK-GLENDALE-PASADENA AIRPORT CLASS C at 911m.

17:28:57: Entering Class C BURBANK-GLENDALE-PASADENA AIRPORT CLASS C at 928m.
17:29:01: Leaving Class C BURBANK-GLENDALE-PASADENA AIRPORT CLASS C at 878m.
skydizzy.blogspot.com
JD

Post by JD »

Last edited by JD on Thu May 31, 2012 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

I don't think that ultralight vehicles excluded from this rule, at least its my understanding. You can double check with FAA. Asking a question cost nothing, penlty for violations could be quite serious. Please let us know what they think :)
skydizzy.blogspot.com
JD

Post by JD »

Last edited by JD on Thu May 31, 2012 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
JD

Post by JD »

I discussed this issue with SoCal ATC, Burbank CT, and Mark Forbes (USHPA). I verified (what I already knew) that everything I have done was correct and legal.

People need to ask questions, gather facts, and do their homework before making accusations and especially before attacking the character of a fellow pilot on a public forum. That's simply disgraceful and degrading to the entire sport.

In case anyone is interested in the best way to proceed I offer the following suggestions:

Don't cross the 210 Freeway unless:

1 - You are an expert X/C pilot flying a 14:1 hang glider and have a GPS equipped with the airspace displayed on the map screen.

2 - You have an aviation radio set to 120.400MHz and are able to notify SoCal ATC of your presence.

2a - You have a working cell phone and can call Burbank Tower at 818-764-9958 or SoCal ATC at 858-537-5912 and let them know you will be at 6K or above in the general area.

3 - You have more than enough altitude to remain above the 4,800' MSL Class C ceiling.

4 - You know where the yellow areas of the FAA Los Angeles Sectional are located and are able to avoid these.

The X/C flying I do is purely recreational but is serious business and if emulated likely can end tragically. I make videos so that others can enjoy it vicariously.
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

History speaks for itself, you seem to be right this time, but remember this your videos get a lot of hits and reach people all over the world to some you are the face of hang gliding, so with that comes a responsibility to educate your viewers with facts like, if your routes, distance to clouds, legality of a landing areas are in question maybe you should voice that. Put hang gliding first and the entertainment second. I don't think you would be very popular if a flying site was in jeopardy because of something you posted.
JD

Post by JD »

Last edited by JD on Thu May 31, 2012 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

Whats your point that video was me my first bad landing in 9 years. A lot of us have pounded in there. I did not post that you did. I do not post videos of myself everyday so that the world can see. Wow you missed the point. I thought I was giving you constructive criticism. As for the broken wire it raised several discussions on proper maintenance and some pilots ordered the thicker side wires because of it, as for the recent broken bones why don't you mentor them you have plenty of experience pounding in, but have seemed to greatly improve your landings lately.
I enjoy your videos just know you play a bigger role in hang gliding you think.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

NMERider wrote:In case anyone is interested in the best way to proceed I offer the following suggestions:

1 - You are an expert X/C pilot flying a 14:1 hang glider and have a GPS equipped with the airspace displayed on the map screen.

2 - You have an aviation radio set to 120.400MHz and are able to notify SoCal ATC of your presence.

2a - You have a working cell phone and can call Burbank Tower at 818-764-9958 or SoCal ATC at 858-537-5912 and let them know you will be at 6K or above in the general area.

3 - You have more than enough altitude to remain above the 4,800' MSL Class C ceiling.

4 - You know where the yellow areas of the FAA Los Angeles Sectional are located and are able to avoid these.

The X/C flying I do is purely recreational but is serious business and if emulated likely can end tragically. I make videos so that others can enjoy it vicariously.
Well then, how are we to view your suggestions when you don't follow them yourself?
JD

Post by JD »

Chip wrote:
NMERider wrote:In case anyone is interested in the best way to proceed I offer the following suggestions:

Well then, how are we to view your suggestions when you don't follow them yourself?

It's entirely up to each individual pilot what he or she chooses to do.

What I did was entirely legal and proper and I have verified it with third party confirmation after having done my homework correctly before I even made the flight.

As a a courtesy to my fellow pilot, I followed up with suggestions to those who may be considering doing something similar

What you did was to make a false accusation against me on a public forum without even giving me the courtesy of an email or a telephone call in private before you shot your mouth off.

On top of this, you followed up with an attack on my character. What does this say about the SHGA?

Here's a hint: I have had many new pilots tell me that they have either quit the sport entirely or moved on to other flying sites for their training because of this negative culture of the SHGA.

The SHGA will eventually fade into oblivion Jeff. It's a dying club and it is being killed by its own culture of pettiness and back-biting. Don't allow yourself to be swayed by that. You are a wiser and better mannered person than this. Don't let me down.

The next time you want something from me that could possibly me controversial in nature I suggest that you speak with me in person or ask questions via email.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

nmerider wrote:On top of this, you followed up with an attack on my character. What does this say about the SHGA?
How exactly did I attack your "character"?
nemrider wrote:Here's a hint: I have had many new pilots tell me that they have either quit the sport entirely or moved on to other flying sites for their training because of this negative culture of the SHGA.
Don't speak in generalities, if you have "facts" bring them forward, maybe we can learn from them. Why would "many" new pilots actually confide in you rather than other pilots here in Sylmar? News to me. But even so, you're changing the subject here anyway.

nmerider wrote:The SHGA will eventually fade into oblivion Jeff. It's a dying club and it is being killed by its own culture of pettiness and back-biting. Don't allow yourself to be swayed by that. You are a wiser and better mannered person than this. Don't let me down.
Might want to look around, the club seems to be doing just fine. What we're trying to do is follow the rules that have allowed this club to exist as long as it has. Working with the forest service and the local FAA have been a benefit to the club. SHGA has good community standing and a nice positive outlook from the community

http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/ ... ts/#c17751

http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/ ... ts/#c47911
nmerider wrote:What you did was to make a false accusation against me on a public forum without even giving me the courtesy of an email or a telephone call in private before you shot your mouth off
So when Alex actually checked your track log against airspace violations, was he also making false accusations? Do you require special consideration?
nmerider wrote:The next time you want something from me that could possibly me controversial in nature I suggest that you speak with me in person or ask questions via email.
I do not want anything from you other than you considering what you do effects the future ability of others to continue to enjoy flying in Sylmar.
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Oh and one other thing, would LOVE to see your new portable Mode C Transponder, for when you are operating in class C airspace.

How is it powered?
JD

Post by JD »

Mr Poopy Pants wrote:Oh and one other thing, would LOVE to see your new portable Mode C Transponder, for when you are operating in class C airspace.

How is it powered?
LOLOLOL!!!!!!!
JD

Post by JD »

Mr Poopy Pants wrote:
nmerider wrote:On top of this, you followed up with an attack on my character. What does this say about the SHGA?
How exactly did I attack your "character"?
nemrider wrote:Here's a hint: I have had many new pilots tell me that they have either quit the sport entirely or moved on to other flying sites for their training because of this negative culture of the SHGA.
Don't speak in generalities, if you have "facts" bring them forward, maybe we can learn from them. Why would "many" new pilots actually confide in you rather than other pilots here in Sylmar? News to me. But even so, you're changing the subject here anyway.

nmerider wrote:The SHGA will eventually fade into oblivion Jeff. It's a dying club and it is being killed by its own culture of pettiness and back-biting. Don't allow yourself to be swayed by that. You are a wiser and better mannered person than this. Don't let me down.
Might want to look around, the club seems to be doing just fine. What we're trying to do is follow the rules that have allowed this club to exist as long as it has. Working with the forest service and the local FAA have been a benefit to the club. SHGA has good community standing and a nice positive outlook from the community

http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/ ... ts/#c17751

http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/ ... ts/#c47911
nmerider wrote:What you did was to make a false accusation against me on a public forum without even giving me the courtesy of an email or a telephone call in private before you shot your mouth off
So when Alex actually checked your track log against airspace violations, was he also making false accusations? Do you require special consideration?
nmerider wrote:The next time you want something from me that could possibly me controversial in nature I suggest that you speak with me in person or ask questions via email.
I do not want anything from you other than you considering what you do effects the future ability of others to continue to enjoy flying in Sylmar.
Just how long have you smoke'n dope Jeffo? Save a few tokes for Ronaldo!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvGJvzwKqg0[/youtube]
vannoppen

Gentleman

Post by vannoppen »

Enough ,enough said. Did I spell that right?
JD

Re: Gentleman

Post by JD »

Van Apple Bobbin wrote:Enough ,enough said. Did I spell that right?
Can you hum a few bars? :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNJe7LmPbvU[/youtube]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Made you all look, huh?