TomS wrote:sonuvabich
Thebastardgotmetoo! :oops: :o :lol:
TomS

Post by TomS »

Not my drift, mon.
nzlinus

FAR 103.17

Post by nzlinus »

I was confused by the earlier discussion, so looked it up, and figured others may benefit from the clarification. As stated earlier, it comes down to each individual pilot being aware of the regulations and restrictions, and flying responsibly...
§ 103.17   Operations in certain airspace.

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle within Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from the ATC facility having jurisdiction over that airspace.
Useful link to keep around: FAR 103 online
JD

Re: FAR 103.17

Post by JD »

nzlinus wrote:I was confused by the earlier discussion...
Another issue is the flight analysis program SeeYou by Nativer.si erroneously reads the GPS altitude data field from a track log (igc file) The correct method is to read barometric altitude. GPS altitude can be grossly in error for a variety of reasons. This article explains the mechanics: http://www.xcmag.com/2011/07/gps-versus ... ve-answer/

When I fly, I use barometric altitude which is extremely accurate and the likelihood of a large shift in ambient sea-level barometric pressure is negligible.

It is an extremely unfortunate and sad situation when one's own flying partner posts false statements presented as facts against one's self on a public forum without first discussion the situation in private to eliminate any misunderstandings or errors. And therein lies the rub.

Within this club and many clubs across a wide variety of sports and hobbies exists a culture of petty backbiting and snitching. Also commonly referred to as malicious gossip and undermining. This tragically not uncommon culture tears at the fabric of camaraderie and mutually beneficial interest. Please note that I did not say there is anything even remotely exclusive about this phenomenon and the SHGA.

I have encountered this malignancy in a wide variety of sports and hobby clubs and in divisions with the federal agency where I worked for 19 years. When this undermining influence infiltrates into the lifeblood of so unique and special and activity such as free flight than it must be brought into the light and stopped head-on.

This can and will be done by each and every member of the SHGA doing his and her part to make this a club where communication is direct and open. If a go-between or arbitrator is the required than so be it. Emotions can run hot or cold and tempers may flare and resentments simmer. This can be stopped an changed if enough of the membership is determined to do so.
nzlinus

Post by nzlinus »

Sir David Attenborough had to narrate this section for me... :lol:
Within this club and many clubs across a wide variety of sports and hobbies exists a culture of petty backbiting and snitching. Also commonly referred to as malicious gossip and undermining. This tragically not uncommon culture tears at the fabric of camaraderie and mutually beneficial interest.
JD

Post by JD »

nzlinus wrote:Sir David Attenborough had to narrate this section for me... :lol:...
Not Morgan Freeman or Patrick Stewart? :o I'm throw'n down! It's on! :twisted:
Jim

Post by Jim »

NMERider wrote:
I have encountered this malignancy in a wide variety of sports and hobby clubs and in divisions with the federal agency where I worked for 19 years.
I haven't. Maybe it's just you.
Aren't you glad you looked this time?
JD

Post by JD »

Jim wrote:....Aren't you glad you looked this time?
I'm always glad to look when you post Jim. I seldom fail to smile at your wit. :D :D

I'll bet you could even tame the likes of BobK
Jim

Post by Jim »

NMERider wrote:
I'll bet you could even tame the likes of BobK
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob is a great guy. He has his opinions and I have mine. They're just mutually exclusive of any common denominator. But we're past that, now.

You and I, on the other hand... Let's just say I've learned to be more civil since the bad ol' days of crossing swords with Bob. Besides, you and I still have to see each other from time to time, even if the club is dying.

I guess I should let sleeping dogs lie, huh?
JD

Post by JD »

Jim wrote:....I guess I should let sleeping dogs lie, huh?
I think sleeping dogs should drink limoncello until they forget who they were. Should have been there when I flew my Falcon to Hanagr 24 Craft Brewery and Mitch McAleer landed short then hitched the rest of the way and bought me a pint of chocolate porter. Alcohol works wonders. :lol:
Jim

Post by Jim »

NMERider wrote: I think sleeping dogs should drink limoncello until they forget who they were.
Been there, done that, Jonathan... A few weeks ago with Rob. I really don't remember wandering around my son's closet and you should hear the message on my phone from Rob, letting me know he made it home, crawling part of the way.

Thursday nights, DQ, but you can't possibly drive home afterward.