Bailout LZs?

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

MikeL

Bailout LZs?

Post by MikeL »

I know this subject has come up a few times in discussions so I figure i'd make a thread on it. Myself as well as potentially some other pilots who are on the newer side of kagel pilots would like to walk the bailout LZs to have a better idea of where they are, obstacles on approach, etc.

I'm not sure when will work for an actual hike out to them so in the meantime I was wondering if someone could post latitutde and longitude of the often mentioned ones (Big T washand beehives (if it is still useable) come to mind, as well as perhaps any to the west) plus any others that might be good to know -- at least then I could walk them myself if it comes to that.

Thanks,
Michael L
JD

Post by JD »

Good topic Mike.
The list is here: http://www.shga.com/dangeroussiteinfo.asp
The coordinates are listed as decimal minutes but the links will pull up Google Maps in decimal degrees. Please be aware of this when programming your GPS.
Jonathan

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcwS1rgKPWI[/youtube]
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

Ah, thanks -- looks like I need to do a better job searching the site for information :lol:

That leaves actually getting a walk-through set up if a group of us want to go......let's see if theres much interest. Otherwise i'll just try to drive to as many of them as I can.
JD

Post by JD »

MikeL wrote:Ah, thanks -- looks like I need to do a better job searching the site for information :lol:

That leaves actually getting a walk-through set up if a group of us want to go......let's see if theres much interest. Otherwise i'll just try to drive to as many of them as I can.
Historically, Ken Andrews has very generously organized the LZ hikes as part of the Sylmar Falcon League along w/ compiling the data on bailouts. Hopefully, you can organize the next round of hikes. I'd be happy to join any new bailout hikes as I need to stay fresh.
Jonathan
nzlinus

Post by nzlinus »

Count me amongst the interested. I've been procrastinating on doing this, but a group would provide some impetus.

Thanks,
Lin.
FlyingSquirrel

Bailout LZ Clinic

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

I've heard rumors Greblo may be running a bailout lz clinic in the next week or so if anyone is interested.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I'm interested in such a clinic, assuming the timing is right. I have an opening May 12th, 2019, from 3:30pm to 3:35pm.
Flyyyyy