truth be told

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

jdevorak

truth be told

Post by jdevorak »

To interrupt the discussion on a difficult subject (insurance), truing battens is the most difficult thing I've done at the Moyes factory. They have a jig to create the initial bend and another jig for fine tuning. Even with these jigs it takes me about 15 minutes for one.

However, it is the worker not the tool. Ben, my mentor, can do one in less than 3 minutes AND do a better job. Despite the direct evidence, I don't believe it will ever be an easy thing. The best I can say is that I haven't thrown any across the room!
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
JD

Post by JD »

I have it on good authority that batten bending prowess will attract a fine Sheila.

When you get back try bending the 12mm ultra-thin wall 7075-T6 that Wills Wing uses. I feel your pain.
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

stands to reason. it's not the size of the tool but what you do with it. or so I've been told.
JD

Post by JD »

I'm writing a screenplay for a new film in which Jay hooks up with a sheila to be played by Keira Knightley.
The working title is: Bend It Like Batten.
I'm pitching to prospective director: Bobby BendItSoon.
Don

Hurry Back

Post by Don »

Jay, sounds like your having a good time, but hurry back because the grass in the LZ is nearly knee high!
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

Hi Jay,
long time no see!

Speaking of battens, are they at Moyes considering WW or Aeros style battens, larger diameter and thinner walls? (Lighter)

Could you please pick Gerolf's brains on the subject?
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

The adventure continues: The fire alarm just went off in the guesthouse where I'm staying. The Chinese cook tried to re-heat the pizzas in the oven. They were still in the box at it went up in flames. No injuries no damage.

Don: I will put in a request to the BOD for a lawnmower drone. We can use Joey Fresquez as the pilot. He's good at flying upside down.

Vrez: I'll as Geroff at the Christmas party tomorrow. We seem to be getting along well so as long as I don't say "like WW" he will be cool with it.
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Batten answer follows. Geroff and Lukus went to a local dune gooning site to try out the new larger Malibu 2. He gave me a half hour talk so if I get the details or general sense of it wrong it is entirely my fault.

Good inexpensive way to get stiff battens. They are so thin you almost have to bend them first then anodize them. However you need more than stiffness because flexibility in the right places is good for handling. In the front section, stiffness works to improve lift characteristics but in the back section it worsens pitch down forces. To balance the forces you need the right reflex. The balance of forces also changes from inner to outer sections of the swept wing. Some pilots like to profile the curvature for their own needs. The larger diameter makes it harder to re-shape.

By the way I worked on battens again and I am getting better. I shaved almost 15 seconds off my average of 15 minutes per stick. :roll:
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

Merry Christmas Jay.

Interesting info on battens, thanks.

Was there ever a mention of real CF battens made, (Atos has them).

It could be cost prohibitive for a flexy, but interesting approach nevertheless.
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Yes he did talk about Atos design but it was more than I can remember. Tomorrow (sunday for me) I'm going to Bill and Molly's for the night. This is so Bill and I can get an early start driving to Forbes.