Ron Keinan

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

filthy

Ron Keinan

Post by filthy »

I just returned from SCFR with bad news. Ron is in the hospital at Maricopa County Regional Az. He is in a coma. He is stable with no more swelling of the brain. He did react to pain (pinching), and that is a good sign.
His wife Denise and brother are there. The surgeon said that it is now a waiting game, with no idea of how long or how bad the situation is.
I would post Denise's number but I want to talk to her first, if she wants the calls or not.
Ron was attempting to land out in a restricted LZ with 15' to 20' trees around it. It appears that he did not clear the trees and was pulled to the ground after clipping the top of tree with the base tube?
Ron was found by a neighbor and two other pilot's drivers. They were driving by to pick up their pilots that landed near by, about 1 block away. After approx. 15 min. after the accident.
He was air lifted and at the hospital in about 1hour.
I will post any updates I receive to keep everyone informed.
BTW Chippy is getting his Gull Blatter removed to day.
Phill
filthy

Post by filthy »

Still no change with Ron, but the surgeon did say this is going to be a marathon not a sprint. So stay positive and like his brother Tal said the night is young, I will keep you all up to date.
DrJeff

So sorry to hear!

Post by DrJeff »

Thanks for keeping us up to date on Ron. This is deeply sad news. I pray that he can not only run this "marathon" but also truly WIN it.

Dr. Jeff
Jeff Bjorck
www.purepiano.com ~quiet music to calm the heart in a noisy world~
DrJeff

Post by DrJeff »

Phil, if it helps his wife, let her know that I had a friend who was thrown from a car and in a coma for forty days. That was in 1997, and my buddy is doing great and fully OK. Healing really can happen.

I am not trying to make light of this very serious situation, but I just want her to know that there really can be hope in scenarios like this.
Jeff Bjorck
lbunner

Post by lbunner »

Thanks for the updates Phil. It's tough getting any news out here in IL. All my best to his family and friends.
filthy

Post by filthy »

Greg Kendal just texted me, and said that the pressure tube is now removed from Ron's head and they are talking about moving him to UCLA. Maybe this week.
JD

Post by JD »

Thanks for the updates!
filthy

Post by filthy »

Tal just informed me that for visits to Ron.
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center Neuro Science ICU:
757 Westwood Plaza.
Afternoons and evenings are best.
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Thanks for those details Phil... very helpful...
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Thanks for those details Phil... very helpful...
JD

Post by JD »

Visitor Information: https://www.uclahealth.org/reagan/rrucla-visitors
I plan to call before attempting to visit: (310) 825-8611
filthy

Post by filthy »

You can also go to Tal Keinan's face book page for more info.
JD

Post by JD »

I just spoke w/ Ron's wife Denise. She says to wait until Friday or (better yet) this weekend to visit. Ron will be moved to a new room by then. He is improving but still not really awake.
Thanks, JD
JD

Post by JD »

Spoke w/ Fast Eddy a few hours ago when he had just stopped by Ron's room. It sounds like the best thing to do now is offer his family moral support and encouragement along with any other offer of assistance if needed. Beyond that, just be patient and wait for Ron to heal.
DrJeff

Post by DrJeff »

Thanks for the updates. Prayers for our buddy continue.
Jeff Bjorck
filthy

Post by filthy »

My wife Kathe and I just saw Ron yesterday, and also ran into Greg Kendal and his wife there. Ron was awake and looks pretty good, he seemed to have some reaction to me (my loud voice) he gave me the hang in there hand sign. Thumb and little finger, the surfer wave, it was very exciting for us.
His brother Tal said it is a good idea to have some people visit to stimulate him. He is better in the afternoon and evening,(he likes to sleep in).
DrJeff

Post by DrJeff »

Great news! Thanks Phil! Hopefully, some of us can get out to see him more than once over the next weeks and possibly months. YES, interaction and stimulation will help.

Jeff
Jeff Bjorck
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

I visited Ron today and his wife Denise was there as well. Although I would describe Ron's condition much as Phil did, Denise says he is definitely improving daily. His right arm is immobilized but his left had is very active, rubbing his head a lot and fidgeting. A trachea tube prevents him from being able to talk, although I'm not sure he could or wants to just yet. His eyes were open most of the time, gazing around the room and sometimes looking directly at me for sustained periods. Overall he looks good and sometimes squeezed my hand when I asked him to, but not every time. It seems that there is some recognition in his eyes but it doesn't last. He still seems very confused right now but Denise believes that visits by his friends help stimulate his recovery.

Ron is being MOVED to Barlow Respiratory Hospital tomorrow, so hold off visiting until Thursday (still can visit this evening). The new facility will work to improve his lung activity with the goal of removing the trachea tube soon. New hospital address is 2000 Stadium Way, Los Angeles, Ca. 90026.
DrJeff

Saw Ron today

Post by DrJeff »

I spent time with Ron and got to know Denise today. He is pretty much the same way Rob described him from his visit. Awake and active but not much real recognition or awareness. Still, I simply spoke to him as though he could understand me, even though he likely can't yet. It can't hurt and it certainly may help.

Denise seems to be a very strong lady, and she knows this is a long haul. I encouraged her to take breaks and get her rest so she doesn't burn out. I do think that Ron will certainly benefit from our ongoing visits. For those of you who pray, let's keep praying for this whole family.

One day at a time.
Jeff Bjorck
JD

Post by JD »

Ron was pretty attached to his glider. Hopefully his connection to it had a healing effect yesterday. No harm in being a little bit superstitious in a positive way.