Website migration

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

mrobin604

Website migration

Post by mrobin604 »

Hi all,

As a first step in the website migration, I have updated the forum software (phpBB) to the latest version and moved it to a new hosting service, A2 Hosting. The website itself is still on the old host (ReadyHosting) but it now links to the new forum.

Please let me know if you encounter any problems using the site.

You can write me here or at my email address ([email protected]).
nzlinus

Re: Website migration

Post by nzlinus »

Thanks, Marshall! Seems to be working... :)

Cheers,
Lin
Joe Faust

Post by Joe Faust »

Google shows:
Sylmar Hang Gliding Association :: View topic - Not exactly an ...
shga.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9962&sid...
Jun 28, 2010 - Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum Index -> Flight Discussion ... Thanks to fellow Houston area pilot Zack Castille for the editing.

======
But in using Search within SHGA forum over
Zack Castille
the result is no items.
Did the migration lose search functions?
Best,
Joe F
View hang gliding ratings at: US Hang Gliding Rating System
Mike M
Site Admin

Post by Mike M »

Hi Joe:

No, we did not lose the search function. What happened was, due to the excellent efforts of Marshall, the board was migrated from the 20 year obsolete and hacker prone PHPBB2 software base to the current PHPBB3 software. What you are seeing is an old Google search result pointing to the now deprecated PHPBB2 board. Since that board no longer exists, you'll get a null result. The entire board was migrated over to the new format so the entire history of our forum is present on the new forum. You can search within the current forum to find anything you want. Google may or may not give a correct result as it has cached many obsolete results. Anything pointing to the old board will not give a result.

Regards,

Mike
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I was unable to get youtube videos to display like the old system. I tried the paragraphs of code to embed but that didn't work. I think I found a link that shows how to get it to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0eDW2AjRRg

doug
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

I'm still working on getting the rest of the site moved over to the new host. Once that's done, I will work on outstanding issues like this. Please feel free to post any problems you see with the site here and I'll see what I can do.

I'll look into youtube video embedding, as well as imgur image embedding so we don't have to upload images to the site directly.
I'm also going to look into Kevin Kernohan's suggestion of a chat box for the front page.
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

Also, when I try to access the forum using my phone (Galaxy/Android), I cant open any forum discussion.
I see the categories list, "General", "Flight Discussion", "Events", etc, but clicking on them doesn't do anything, I can't see the topics.
This happened after changing the format.
Thanks for your outstanding work on maintaining our website.
Next time you need a ride up, be my VIP.
Cheers.

Vrezh
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

Hi Vresh,
Maybe you need to clear the cache on your phone browser? I don't have an android so I don't know how to do that... possibly these instructions would be helpful:

https://www.wikihow.tech/Clear-Your-Bro ... an-Android

Next time you see me out at Kagel I can take a look at your phone and maybe get some idea what's going on.

Marshall
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

Thanks Marshall, i learned that
from the main forum page there is an option
to switch to "desktop version", which enables
the access to topics and posts from my phone.
All good.