The Dahlsten Is Coming! The Dahlsten Is Coming!

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Lynn McLaughlin

The Dahlsten Is Coming! The Dahlsten Is Coming!

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Our beloved Dahlsten Cup Competition is scheduled for Saturday September 22, 2007 (weather day will be Sunday 9/23/07)

This year we are very happy to include David Cutter's Comp and XC workshop! This very popular workshop will be held in the morning before comp sign up. All members are welcome to attend. Stay tuned right here for further details.

For the actual Dahlsten Cup, we plan to do the Fishbowl format with the
usual classes: Topless, Sport and maybe some others. I invite Jeff Chipman to chime in here with comp details and I encourage everyone interested (and qualified) to participate.

This annual event would not be the same without our (now famous) Chili
Cook off. Our cook off is as competitive as our Fishbowl! You know you make great chili so bring it and show it off. We invite all types of chili. Just make sure it's ready to serve at 1pm. Judging will take place from 1pm - 5pm. Our regular BBQ will follow around 5pm.

Chili cook off guidelines:

Make 8-10 servings.

Entrants must bring HOT chili in electric crock pots. (SHGA will provide extension cords, table and signage)

Chili service begins at 1pm, lasts till 5pm or until chili is all gone. Richard (Cabbage Head) will serve all chilis.

Ballots available all afternoon, voting takes place all afternoon till 5pm.

Chili must be identified as either hot or mild, meat or veggie.

Donations are 2 bucks for a 3oz serving, or 5 bucks for as many as you
want.

Lastly, we need BBQ, Spot Landing and set up volunteers. Please reply and let me know what you can do to pitch in for our fun-filled Dahlsten Cup.

Soon We Fly!
Chip
Site Admin

Dahlsten Cup

Post by Chip »

Not much to add as of yet, but I have reduced the turnpoimt cylinders to 200 meters instead of the typical 400 meters. I flew a task on Saturday and the turnpoint radius was not a big deal except you need to drive in a bit more.

The format is likely to remain the same although I've added a few more waypoints to the open class in case the day turns out to be very good. The waypoint list is here. The added waypoints are McKinley behind the white canyon (Northeast of Big T by 3.25 miles), Brown Mountain, and Wilson. These turnpoints are for the open class.

I also added a few more waypoints for the fun and sport class. These waypoints will put hang 3 pilots up on the ridge over-looking camp 9. For the sport class we have one away from the rudge over the cemetary SW of the shooting range.

I don't think we'll be trying to handicap the rigid class again, if we allow rigids, they'll compete in their own class (since there's a few in the club now).

We may introduce team challenges as well. However the teams need to be made up of a hang 2 or 3 pilot and another pilot that has some level of comp or XC knowledge. Deductions or penalties will be levied to teams that have their less experienced partner landing out due to the mentor leading them into an area they cannot make it back from. :evil:

Send comments or suggestions to me via the forum.
Mike M
Site Admin

Competition Schedule

Post by Mike M »

It would be greatly appreciated if the competition schedule were posted soon. That is, pilot meeting times, event start times, seminar time (if we hold one this year). Since I live about an hour out, it makes it much easier to plan. That's my selfish reason, but I am sure that everyone else would appreciate the schedule.
Lynn McLaughlin

Great question regarding the schedule and good timing!

We will begin event set up at 9am.
Wonderful flying humans who come to help us with setting up shade units (there are only 4) and creating the circles for spot landings will receive great adoration and free chili samples :P
We need a couple helpers -- please reply and come help.

Dave Cutter's workshop will begin at 10am.
Previous topics have included "Comp Strategy," "How To Get Around Kagel" and "Weather." Dave says the topic this year, as usual, will be responsive to the interest of the attendees. Come one, come all! Cutter's workshops are great.

Chip please chime in for the pilot meeting time and any other details relevant to the comp.

Chili entries need to arrive by 12noon
Bring `em in crockpots, hot and ready.
We have servers, tables and powerstrips.

Chili Cookoff tasting begins at 1pm
BBQ begins around 4pm

We welcome pilots, family, friends and neighbors.

Soon we fly!
AlC

Coming from out of town

Post by AlC »

Ok, so where and when would be best for an out-of-town pilot to show up, get a site briefing and find a ride up the hill?

- Al C
Don

Recommendations

Post by Don »

The earlier you show up the better - you didn't mention a day/date.

Assuming Saturday - then mid-morning. There should be people arriving by 9 AM. Just about anyone can provide the L/Z based site briefing. A briefing at Launch should be obtained before running off the hill.

As for a ride - try calling Windsports or Hungry Joe. Otherwise there are always several other vehicles heading up the hill. Sometimes spaces are reserved for buddies but numerous times it is first-come first-on. The going price is $15 or $20 for the ride.
Christian

Post by Christian »

Dahsten Cup now scheduled for this Saturday, Oct. 13. All information above is the same unless corrected below.
Don

Training sessions

Post by Don »

Is Dave Cutter or anyone else going to be providing a training session?

If so, at what time?
Lynn McLaughlin

Dave Cutter's workshop begins at 10am. Be There! :-)

Pilot meeting is at 11:00am

And, if you have killer chili, bring that too...