Zaon MRX

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Zaon MRX

Post by Ken Andrews »

Sunday was a phenomenal day with pilots at 10,000 feet over Kagel and four flights from Kagel to Crestline! Amid the excitement, there were three encounters with commercial aircraft in the Kagel area. That's a problem, because the Federal Aviation Regulations say:
Sec. 103.13 Operation near aircraft; right-of-way rules.
(a) Each person operating an ultralight vehicle shall maintain vigilance so as to see and avoid aircraft and shall yield the right-of-way to all aircraft.
(b) No person may operate an ultralight vehicle in a manner that creates a collision hazard with respect to any aircraft.
In short, it is our responsibility to see and avoid just about everything in the air that doesn't grow feathers. The FAA's reasoning on this rule (from http://www.usua.org/Rules/faa103.htm) is interesting:
The FAA has determined that uncertificated sport operations should not be given the right-of-way over all other aircraft. The small size and sport nature of the operations is a major factor in that determination it is unlikely that the pilot of aircraft will be able to see the ultralight vehicle as readily as the pilot of the ultralight vehicle will be able to see or hear the larger aircraft. Due to the forward speeds of the majority of aircraft, it may be impossible for the aircraft to make sudden changes of direction required to avoid small objects sighted at close quarters. The FAA recommends that operators engaged in ultralight operations avoid, if possible, areas where significant operations of aircraft are occurring so as to minimize the risk of midair collisions.
In other words, if we don't see them coming very well, they'll probably see us even less.

So what's to be done? Obviously, we must do the best we possibly can at watching for incoming aircraft. Recall that if you see a distant airplane moving, you and it will miss each other if you both maintain speed and heading. The guy that's going to hit you is the little dot on the horizon that gets bigger and bigger without moving left or right. In other words, it's the guy who's hardest to see.

Technology might be a better solution. For $489, one can buy a Zaon-MRX "Portable Collision Avidance System" or PCAS. Like everything these days, it's a little electronic box with an antenna and it runs on two AA batteries. If an airplane gets within about five miles at a similar altitude, this thing beeps and displays the information on a little LED display.

Joe Greblo has one, and I borrowed it for a flight or two. It detected airplanes far sooner than I did, and I continue to think that flying with one regularly might be a really good idea. It would take a little practice to respond properly and optimize the configuration settings. If you would like to experiment with one, Joe might loan his to you.

Here's the really quick summary of how it works. Virtually every airplane in our area is required to have a transponder that regularly transmits its altitude (because Kagel is within the 20 nautical mile LAX mode-C veil). The PCAS receives these signals, estimates distance based on the signal strength, and matches the received altitude information to its own internal pressure-altimeter. If these numbers fall within the set limits, it beeps. One could learn much more at http://www.zaon.aero/content/view/2/41/.

I'd be very interested in comments from other users.
Don

Safety in flight

Post by Don »

$500 to reduce the risk of being a bug splat on the windsheild of an airplane ? Might be worth it. However, I'm not sure Noreen thinks I worth it. :?

Seriously, tell us how/where you mount this thing and what do you do when it beeps. Knowledge is always better than ignorance but I'm curious what you do with the knowledge. Is there a way to know where the plane is - five miles is a long way off to visually see something but it only takes a few seconds to be on top of you.
lswendt

Post by lswendt »

I feel bad for not sharing this information sooner but about three years ago I had a near miss with a small aircraft at Kagel.

I was coming in to land and around 2,600-2,800 ft. over the corner houses of Santiago Estates when something in me said, "turn around and see if other pilots have followed and will be landing behind you." Usually I'm looking in front of me and to either side and below me to see if someone is going to skate in before me.

Much to my surprise when I looked over my right shoulder, I was looking right into the prop of a plane. I would have to say he was less than 50 ft. behind me and SLIGHTLY to the right of my keel.

I made an immediate dive to the left and by the time I completed my 180, he was driving straight down the center of the wash. IT WAS CLEAR TO ME THE PILOT NEVER SAW ME.

Upon landing, I asked if anyone had seen the plane and I think Cindy said she had seen it flying down the wash. Later when other pilots landed, Mike Hayden said he had seen the plane low near the ridge but didn't see any other pilots around so didn't think to raise a warning. Not sure whether I would have heard it as I don't usually fly with a radio.

When I got home I looked up the FAA part 103 and sure enough (contrary to boating rules) if I had been involved in a mid-air, I would have been at fault. Doesn't seem fair but that's the rule.

I had a long conversation with Joe Greblo about the incident and he told me about the PCAS system he uses. He sent me a link to a Web site and I read about it. Sounded like a good idea and a good piece of safety equipment. But I don't have $500 to spare right now so I never pursued a purchase. I think it would be a great XC tool too.

I just had a thought and wonder if we have one in the LZ that's constantly monitoring small planes that could send out an audio warning noting a plane and it's rough location. We could set it up to broadcast on 147.555. Maybe something like that already exists?

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience. It was scary. The plane was SO close. Lucky for me my vertical space is about 8 ft. I wish I were more pancake-like. I guess flying a topless would solve THAT problem.

So here were the lessons I learned: the first piece of safety equipment I use more often is my radio. When I come out from the ridge, I look everywhere now, not just in front and to the sides. Oh yeah, and don't have a mid-air 'cause I would be at fault.

I never would have know what hit me. I guess my chute would have still worked from that altitude. At least I would have been near the LZ and medical support. Thanks goodness it turned out okay. I don't have to be hit by a ton of bricks (or a small plane) to learn a valuable lesson.

Oh yeah, there's lots more of these little planes driving around everywhere (no vector airways for them) in the summer. Something to think about.

lw
Last edited by lswendt on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
jsc1959

Post by jsc1959 »

Well here's a short review of it

http://www.digitalreviews.net/reviews/n ... ystem.html

and a link to the manufacturer's web site.

www.ZaonFlight.com
greblo

Post by greblo »

I have a PCAS system like the one shown above. I would be willing to loan mine to any pilot who would like to try it out before spending that kind of money.

Joe Greblo
greblo

Post by greblo »

With respect to these incidents, I'd suggest all of our club pilots not only take some time to re-familiarize themselves with the airspace rules and airspace designations that surround our site; but also take the time to read about NASA and the FAA's partnered safety program which grants immunity from prosecution for almost all FAA violations (not including accidents and collisions). If any pilot is concerned that he/she may have violated an FAR, they need only fill out and mail in a select report form to NASA within 10 days of the incident in order to be protected from any FAA penalties. It's completely confidential.

This program is called the NASA ASRS program and you can learn about it online at
http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/
JT

Post by JT »

I'm convinced. If anyone has ideas for mounting one, let me know. I'll post a review after I get a chance to use mine.

And Don, my wife insisted that I buy one when she noticed me checking out the link to the Zaon store; she heard my story. Yours would, too, if she knew what was going on Sunday.

It also might show the FAA that we're making a good faith attempt to be safer. But everyone doesn't have to have one: I will be relaying any information I get from this thing on our club frequency.

If anyone else is interested, I bought mine at

http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/

for $489. Free shipping but I chose the $22 two day option.

If this thing doesn't seem to work, I'll sell it to Lawn Dart for $549.
greblo

Post by greblo »

Jim, I thought you know they were available at Windsports without paying shipping.

Sorry;
Joe
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

greblo wrote:....... but also take the time to read about NASA and the FAA's partnered safety program which grants immunity from prosecution for almost all FAA violations (not including accidents and collisions). If any pilot is concerned that he/she may have violated an FAR, they need only fill out and mail in a select report form to NASA within 10 days of the incident in order to be protected from any FAA penalties. It's completely confidential.
There is, however, a limit. After you use one of these "get out of jail free" cards, you cannot use one again for some period of time (3 years?). Check the web-site for the actual limit, I seem to have forgotten what it is. Oh, and the violation must not be deliberate.

I had occasion to check last year. Turned out I was past the 10 day limit anyway. And re-examination of my track-log showed that I had (just barely) not violated the FARs.

By the way, we keep talking about "staying below 3000 feet when South of the Gavina Street Bridge." The actual edge of that Burbank airspace is a short ways North of the bridge, and not quite parallel to it. The bridge itself isn't the edge. So, give it a bit more clearance. (300 feet?) If you are curious, a sectional doesn't give a great picture. Use SeeYou or some other computer based image where you can zoom in for better detail.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Dan Barley

Post by Dan Barley »

I belong to several active national pilot forums and what is interesting is that the only complaints of hang glider near misses I have read about is in the arrival corridor east north east of the SF bay area. In one case a pilot/owner of a Cessna 340 has had two very close occurances. This happens to be a pilot I know and he is quite unnerved about it. Even though he is aware of Hang Gliding activity in the area he is still surprised when a near miss occurs. Mostly he is surprised when this occurs when there is cloudy conditions and he comes out of the clouds to find the glider very near by. I try to settle him by saying not to worry, we can hear you coming but in reality we all know that is not true.

The Zaon is a good product. Unfortunately the low end version does not give you enough data to pinpoint the actual location of the approaching aircraft. But it is a step up from nothing.

Just to add/clarify what George said on the NASA incident form submission, you can file as many as you deem necessary for something that you have done. But then if an incident filing is used to avoid punitive action, then you must wait the defined period before you can use one again to avoid punitive action.
Dan B.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Thanks Dan!

The web site (and my conversation with Rob McKenzie, who gave me the original info) were unclear to me on this: That it was only the "avoidance of punitive action" that had a "wait after use" period. In retrospect, that clears up some of the wording I saw. It makes more sense that way too, since the whole point is to collect the data for safety reasons.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
abinder

Post by abinder »

A link to the manufacter's web site:

www.zaon.aero
Ken Andrews
Site Admin

Review of Zaon's air traffic detector

Post by Ken Andrews »

For six or eight weeks now, I have been flying with a Zaon MRX air traffic detector. I've been borrowing it from Joe Greblo, on condition that I report my experiences with it. Here's my half of the deal.

The short version:

The Zaon MRX is a small gray box, about the size of a deck of playing cards, with a little antenna and powered by two AA batteries. It detects the transponder signals sent by powered airplanes, and displays distance and relative altitude (but not direction). It will beep an alarm signal when another airplane gets close. My results with it have been mixed. It reports some non-threatening aircraft parked at Camp 9 and elsewhere, and I haven't yet gotten it to report all genuine collision risks soon enough to be useful. However, it has indicated some inbound air traffic well before I would have seen it unaided. The device shows enough promise that I've ordered one of my own (about $500 from Windsports), and will continue to experiment with its settings and configuration.

The long version:

The device:

Zaon is a small business, founded by Zane Hovey (the technical guy) and Jason Clemens (the business guy). They make two products, the XRX and the MRX, both of which are Portable Collision Avoidance Systems (PCAS). The simpler MRX has a list price of $549 (cheaper from Windsports) and has a single antenna; the more sophisticated XRX has a list price of $1795 and has an antenna array and more elaborate display. Both devices receive and decode the transponder signals that are transmitted by nearly all other aircraft in the Los Angeles area. Those signals contain the pressure-altitude of the transmitting aircraft, and by comparing this to the PCAS's own internal altimeter, it can compute the relative altitude of the other aircraft. Based on signal strength, the PCAS devices can also estimate a rough distance. The XRX has an antenna array so it can determine the direction of the other aircraft; with a single antenna, the MRX cannot. The MRX displays relative altitude and distance of the greatest threat on its LED display, while the XRX has a more elaborate display and can be connected to an external GPS. Both are intended to sit on the glare shield of a private plane, and while the XRX would be awkward on a hang glider, the MRX is entirely practical.

I was generally impressed with the engineering of the MRX. The display is very simple and easy to understand. The five-way switch isn't intuitive, but there are aren't many options and they only need to be configured once. While the device is a little delicate for hang glider use, those who treat their flight instruments with reasonable care will have no trouble with it. For the geeks in the audience, the electronics inside are pretty straightforward. It contains a 1090 MHz receiver, a solid-state altimeter, a magnetic sound transducer for the alarm, power supply circuitry, and a PIC 16F877 microcontroller to do the thinking.

Running on two AA alkaline batteries, I found that the MRX runs for several flights, perhaps six flight hours though I haven't kept track properly. It has an audible low-battery chirp, and it keeps working for about a half hour after this starts. For routine use, I plan to use rechargeable batteries in the same way that I do with my radio and GPS.

The manual is detailed and well written, and it is available online here: http://www.zaon.aero/component/option,c ... Itemid,33/.

In flight:

The MRX sounds an alarm when a threat gets too close. The threshold can be set; my experimentation was primarily at 0.8 nautical miles. When thermalling or flying slowly, I hear the alarm. But the alarm can be drowned out on a faster glide by wind noise, vario noise, and radio chatter. I found it essential to mount the MRX right next to my vario so when looking at one, I would automatically see the other. It turns out that I look at my vario often enough in flight that I see most of what the MRX says. Unfortunately, the LED display is impossible to read in full sunlight. A simple little sun shield would probably improve the situation, but for the moment, I have to shade it with my hand or wait for the shady half of the turn while themalling.

Airspace in most places aside from Kagel is pretty quiet. At Crestline or Garlock or Hurricane or Blackhawk, the MRX's display is virtually always blank, showing just a couple dashes so one can tell that it's awake. Not so at Kagel. Perhaps 70% of the time, it reports an active transponder somewhere within its four mile range. Often it's at that maximum range, 1300 feet below, and I ignore it (the majority of my flight time is spent between the 2200 and Lances, at launch level plus or minus 500 feet). I've been unable to identify the location of these transponders. There is also a significant amount of transponder activity from Camp 9, when they evidently have a helicopter powered up on the pad. I don't mind knowing this, because it is a warning of potential air traffic.

Not surprisingly, my experience with genuine collision hazards is a little sparse, though it's what we care about most. Sometimes the MRX works perfectly, pointing out the air traffic before I find it visually. It has been particularly good about low-altitude helicopters that can get lost visually against a mottled sagebrush background. Inbound aircraft arrive very fast, and I have not yet figured out how to get the MRX to dependably give enough warning to be useful. Conversely, I sometimes see an inbound airplane that never appears on the MRX display. I can't believe these don't have active transponders, so perhaps the MRX senses a sufficient altitude separation that it doesn't perceive a threat.

Current conclusions:

I don't yet see the MRX as the magic solution to eliminate our risk from midair collisions. On the other hand, I still think there's reasonable hope that it will help to reduce that risk. A midair collision would probably be fatal to the glider pilot involved, perhaps also to those aboard the powered plane, and perhaps even to the sports of hang gliding and paragliding nationwide (imagine a rule change that prohibits us from flying in Class E airspace). I don't think such a collision has ever occurred, but one could reasonably predict that the first would be at our site. Hence this problem must be solved, and SHGA pilots are the appropriate ones to solve it. I have ordered an MRX of my own and will continue to experiment and report my results. If you would like further information, I would be happy to discuss the topic, and I'm sure Jim Thompson (another MRX owner) and Joe Greblo would too. If you would like to try one out, I'm willing to loan mine when I get it, and you could probably arrange to borrow one from Joe as well.
JT

Post by JT »

I've posted my experience with the MRX elsewhere on the forum for those who care to look. http://www.shga.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1019

I just wanted to note that I believe the unit Ken had borrowed was an earlier version. I have had a little more success with version 2.9 and I'm pretty happy with it.

I agree completely on the amount of traffic near Sylmar and, oddly enough, the busiest day I've ever noticed was Friday, 7/18, when the display was showing nearby aircraft (5 mile radius) much of the hour I spent in the air.

Reminder: if anyone wants to work out a radio communication protocol, I'd be happy to share the advisories and alerts I receive. More eyes are better for our health.