Help for Fire in the LZ

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Glide Junkie

Help for Fire in the LZ

Post by Glide Junkie »

If any local pilots can get to the LZ Joe and others could use your help in keeping the fire at bay tonight and tomorrow morning.

Currently, the woodchips in the LZ are creating a problem for flying embers. The woodchips are smoldering and can launch in high winds to create fire in the nearby residences. All it takes is for an ember to get under an eve or into an uncovered vent.

If anyone local can help, Joe and others will be glad for the help. Check the Windsports website for updates.

If anyone can get a hold of Joe G. or anyone else in the LZ, digging up dirt adjacent to the wood chips and covering them with this dirt could help. An alternative, is covering the wood chips with moist sod.

Thanks to everyone who has helped
abinder

Post by abinder »

I've come up to the Sylmar area to try and help others in the LZ but the local police dept seems to have all of the ways into the area on the LZ side of the 210 fwy blocked off. Does anyone know of a way to get to the LZ?

Please call me on my cell @:
310-962-1357

I'll probably stay here in the Sylmar area until about midnight hoping that can somehow get in.
Rome Dodson

MORE WOODCHIPS?

Post by Rome Dodson »

AS USUAL I WILL NOT ORDER MORE WOODCHIPS UNTILL GET AN OK (IN WRITEING) FROM THE BOARD ROME
Chip
Site Admin

No mo wood chips

Post by Chip »

:o Pretty sure woodchips are NOW prohibited!

The fire department hired a contractor to haul them all away, thanks to everyones tax dollars.

They're pretty much gone, wanna make a difference? Figure out how to get iceplant to grow over there. Good for erosion control and fire protection.
Glide Junkie

Iceplant, Common but Not the Best

Post by Glide Junkie »

Ice-plant has been used on many hillsides throughout Southern CA, but it is actually an evasive species. Ice-Plant is native to South Africa and has displaced many of our native species.

Another plant which may work well, is Salvia Gracias or creeping sage. It has a blue flower which blooms in May. This is a soft sage, not a hard plant like some of the other sages out there. So it should not create a landing hazard. It grows fast too!

Salvia Gracias is good in the following biomes: Chaparral, Coastal Sage Scrub, Southern Oak Woodland and Central Oak Woodland.

Creeping Sage is only a recommendation; there are many other great native plants which could be used. Chrissy Greblo can probably offer some good suggestions on other native CA plants, which could be a good fit too.

Thanks to everyone who has helped to protect & safeguard the SHGA neighborhood & also clean up the LZ!

Heather
bricksfly

Post by bricksfly »

Good suggestion Heather. I am sure Chrissy will be able to help as you mentioned. She is always looking for ways to reduce the non-native plants and increase the native ones.

Not sure if you and Jay have had a chance to see the lz but it looks totally different now!

Hoping Kagel will be open next weekend so we 2's can fly....
Bill