XC potential this Sunday

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Chip
Site Admin

XC potential this Sunday

Post by Chip »

OK all you XC hounds, looks like the call for Sunday "may" be Crestline to Kagel and maybe further depending on your route and speed. Looks like Crestline will be launchable and the wind will be from the east on the backside (northside) of the San Gabriels.

The route that has been taken before was on the northside while the Kagel crew on the same day took the southside route. :wink:

Altitudes won't be all that stellar (8's and 9's, mostly 7k) but last week showed it didn't need to be. This day might be different. You'll likely want to have a good start if your going to try it. Convergence over most of the San Gabriels. Thermals going up around 400 - 500, and wind generally light and variable over the San Gabriels. Once you make your way toward Kagel depending on your route you can expect an E to SE wind.

Unfortunately I'm out but it would be cool to see someone try it. 8)
frosty

Post by frosty »

It does indeed look promising for Sunday.

Dean just decided to have the SoCal XC League comp at Marshall this weekend:

"The forecast looks a lot like last weekend. The question is - SB or Marshall? Neither one looks stellar on paper, but once again Marshall seems to have a few more items in the plus column. So I’m playing the odds again and going with Marshall . The thermal strength and heights look really good for both days, but there is a possibility that the wind will be a factor. Just so you all know, this is the only weekend in April that I will be able to hold a meet. So we either go for it this weekend, and hope for the best, or wait until the next scheduled meet in May. I’m feeling optimistic tonight, so let’s roll out to Marshall . If you need help with your GPS or other league stuff, show up a little early. I will be in the LZ at 8:30."

see http://www.usxcleague.com/ for more info

It may be worth launching Crestline early on Sunday (11am) and heading for the Cajon Pass. If it's not so good, top land at Marshall & join the comp.
JD

Post by JD »

I'm hoping to fly Crestline/Marshall to Kagel and beyond this Sunday. Anyone else from the SHGA interested?
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

I'm in. How about meet in AJ LZ at 10am?
:D
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

NMERider, I did not saw you in AJ this Sunday, did you fly?

As for me, I try to fly west from Marshal, cross Cajon pass, but could not connect to Cucamonga:

http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/forum/2 ... mment-3431
Chip
Site Admin

See!

Post by Chip »

I told you it would be good. But hey, whata I know?

For those of you who even care, Zac Majors (Zippy) flew from Crestline to Santa Paula and scored a new site record for flex wings from Crestline.

Meanwhile you all flew Kagel, complained about the "wierdness" and landed in the same ol LZ you always land in.

Nice going home boddies :evil:
JD

Post by JD »

Dizzy wrote:NMERider, I did not saw you in AJ this Sunday, did you fly?..........
My forecast showed me that it was possibly not safe to go XC from there Sunday, which was amply demonstrated by everyone who launched early and got body slammed into the deck, downwind of Cucamonga. Zippy was the only person with enough sense to turn around, go back and try it again. He nailed the choicest part of the current weather system. I caught the very tail end of it today and did 37.5 miles from Marshall Peak going West until the ocean breeze came up the Basin and hit me in the face at San Dimas. I decided it was pointless to proceed when my flying companion, Dave Aldrich called me on the 2-meter from the Miller Brewing Co. lawn where he landed in Irwindale. So I headed out to join hm on the deck and wait for our driver. I did hit 9,300' over Cucamonga and got some great video too (to be posted later this week). Here's a teaser:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H7LdUSVP4U [/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ueu_AkuIjo[/youtube]
WingNutz

Post by WingNutz »

The CompeGPS track is way cool !

This would give wuffos a different idea of what hang gliding can be like.
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee