Big Spring Pre-Worlds

Moderator: Comp Committee

Chip
Site Admin

Big Spring Pre-Worlds

Post by Chip »

We'll (well mainly me) will be posting the on going daily events and going on's of the Big Spring meet in Texas starting Friday the 4th of August (that's when we leave).

The comp starts that Sunday August 6th - August 12th.

You'll be able to see pictures and some audio and written accounts of most of the days we're gone. Follow the Sylmar team here
SHGA Communications

Post by SHGA Communications »

From Chris Smith's blog [ http://glidexc.blogspot.com/ ]

LA, Texas, and Beyond...
So... Jonny, Attila, and I just checked in to the Whitten Inn (formerly Super 8) in Big Spring, TX at 3 AM and I am exhausted after a 19 hour trip - but it was a good time.

I hosted Jonny in Los Angeles for about a week before we left for Texas and we had a really good time hanging out and getting gear together for the trip. Read Jonny's blog for the details. Good times.

The drive out to Texas was nice; we drove through a variety of spectacular weather (especially AZ), had movies in the car, and listened to interesting stories from Attila. I am very excited to be here in Big Spring again as this is where I had my first competition last year (won the sport class) and got addicted to racing hang gliders. I am looking forward to having good time this year and doing my best - and hopefully that will produce a good result for my ranking in the US.

V
jimshaw

Post by jimshaw »

Hey guys in Big Texas. Great to read your blogs and hear your voice Chip. Can't wait to hear how you guys did today and throughout the comp. Hope you all have a great one!
SHGA Communications

Chip's blog

Chip reports:

"The skies open up and dumps on us as we are getting in the launch line..."

Plus, you-are-there internet audio.

http://kagelites.blogspot.com/
SHGA Communications

Current Standings, Big Spring, Tx

CURRENT STANDINGS BIG SPRINGS COMP:

http://www.flytec.com/Events/2006/Big_S ... umflex.htm
jimshaw

Post by jimshaw »

Big news from Big Springs, Texas (at least to me, I'm jazzed for the guys there)!

The guys had a very difficult task, I understand in the blue (no clouds to show the lift), yesterday, and possibly the longest ever called - 157.1 miles! The guys did a great showing, most notably Ron the Wiener, I expect flying with Phill Bloom. They both went the same distance of 134.8 miles and tied for 26th. Remember, this was a daunting task.

Notably, another Southern CA pilot, Old Man Bill Soderquist (I say this with respect because I think he is in his late 50's? and kicking ass) out of the Elsinore site, showed his XC skills by going 150.5 miles, just 6.6 miles shy of goal for 12th place! Remember, just four pilots even made goal out of about 70.

Others doing well that day were Greg Kendall going 117.9 miles for 40th place. Hey, you finally got past San Dimas golf course! Chris Smith in landed at 115.9 miles out and Chippy at 94.9 miles out.

Remember, these guys are flying all out every day for hours, many days in a row.

Give them a shout!

Jim
SHGA Communications