So Cal XC Comp - Update

Moderator: Comp Committee

Don

So Cal XC Comp - Update

Post by Don »

The first task of the So Cal XC Comp was held today (Sat 8/23/08) at Marshall. Representing the SHGA HG community was two unknowns (where was everyone else?) - myself and BJ - our "Almost a H3".

Launch was from Marshall and the task included several waypoints along Marshall Ridge, then a jump back over to Billboard, then onto Pine, back to Marshall and finally the LZ.

I launched and slowly worked up to 4,500' and as the clock ticked down headed to the start circle. After a good start and tagging the first waypoint I headed towards #2. Looking for lift I spotted another glider going in the desired direction - up! 1,000' on vario was nice - topping out at 5,300+ I quickly tagged #2 then headed towards Billboard - certainly the toughest due to the distance and unknown lift possibilities. I didn't think I was high enough to make it so I looked for lift. For the next HOUR I looked everywhere along, behind, and West of the Marshall Ridge. I never got over 4,300' and finally called it quits.

About 1/2 hour after landing BJ landed on his Falcon with his glider bag neatly attached to his keel - just in case the glide ratio wasn't bad enough he wanted to make sure it was even worse - :? As I approached BJ informs me that he MADE GOAL! I literally, and I mean LITERALLY, wanted to strangle him. :x Better judgement prevailed and I congradulated him on his accomplishment - my left hand with my fingers crossed was hidden behind my back - :lol:

The short story is that after he tagged the waypoints along Marshall Ridge he also couldn't find lift - at one point barely above the trees near the LZ. Then he caught one that brought him back to the top of the Ridge, he headed West and caught another one, then headed to the Pine Spine and got lift all the way up Pine to 6K+. From there he tagged Billboard then back to Pine barely making it and turning back to Regionals. From there the rest was easy.

Way to go BJ - you make the SHGA proud. :D