What 19:1 glide looks like on flat ground [ATOS-VQ video]

Post by OP »

Wow, I want one of these things.

One could: practice flares in the LZ.
do HG training without a hill.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6urDFu4jFWk[/youtube]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Opie, when you get yours, be sure to carry all the spare parts you'll need to get off the ground and befriend someone capable of carbon-fiber repairs. Ask Larry, Sebastian and Dennis. Flies great, easy to break.
OP

Post by OP »

You're right. Maybe I should step back down to PVC and burlap fabric. That entire aluminum/dacron deal is just too fragile.

Don

Post by Don »

OP wrote:You're right. Maybe I should step back down to PVC and burlap fabric. That entire aluminum/dacron deal is just too fragile.

Heck - you should consider going back to bamboo and bedsheets. :o
OP

Post by OP »

Easy as pi: http://www.davisstraub.com/Glide/atosrepairs.htm

I bet I could repair that D-cell in no time:

Flexwing: Bolt in new leading edge

ATOS: Cut, shape, sand, measure, repeat. Then glue, glue, glue. Follow up with the fear you have repaired incorrectly.
remmoore

Post by remmoore »

I've been flying rigids since my first Exxtacy in 2001. I've been flying my ATOS VX for the past 4 years.

Here in Norcal, rigids are fairly common. That means there is plenty of experience in making carbon repairs. I have never had to buy a carbon replacement part, given that carbon is so easy to repair. If I don't have the experience to make the correct repair (an unusual situation) there are plenty of others who can. The vast majority of rigid repairs are of the ribs, not the d-cell. They use so little carbon in the ribs that they are easier to crack. I've also had to make a repair to my basetube, but that is happening alot for flexes these days, too.

Rigids are amazing wings - the glide is kinda magical. They do have their downsides when compaired to flexes, but parts repair/replacement isn't one of them.

RM
skygeek AKA Seabass

Post by skygeek AKA Seabass »

I had a Atos V for almost 8 years and recently sold. it. The advantages are great the ground behaves itself and stays where is should. One unusually buoyant day I had around a 600 to 1 glide, I went back and forth from big T to west towers 3 times no stoping for thermals with altitudes from 3500 to 4500. Its a amazingly well built glider. The disadvantages are they are delicate and usually only a Atos owner understands this, so when loading and unloading you have to be very care full. The best thing it to have your own transport up the mountain with excellent padding. I did go through 8 years of crap from my flexi brothas but it was worth it. The Atos is in a different league so your not in the same game., That gets boring after a while. I am now back on a flexi and having fun again it was time for a change.
OP

Post by OP »

Larry a few weekends ago:

How to clean and gut the bird: