Yosemite 2012

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

hgflyboy

Yosemite 2012

Post by hgflyboy »

Looks like Barton won't be running a Yosemite trip for the club this year. I have signed-up to monitor the weekend of July 28-29. To sign up, go to http://yhga.org/flyersignup/index.htm and make your reservation. You must be a Hang-4 with a current USHGA membership card. The usual camping spot is Bridal Veil Creek Campground, which is be first-come, first-served. I'm not planning to go up earlier in the week and reserve sites like Barton always did, so come early if you can.

Will

PS Barton, if you decide to run a trip on this date, lemme' know and I'll shove-off! :P
gregangsten

Early arrival

Post by gregangsten »

I will try to get there early either Friday or Thursday and get what I can.
Thanks for monitoring, Will!
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Thanks for stepping up, Will. Really appreciate it :-)
hgflyboy

Yosemite Update

Post by hgflyboy »

Hey there boys and girls!

As many of you have noticed, the YHGA website is caput right now. The current roster of pilots is:

Will Ramsey - Monitor
Greg Angsten
Doug Clark
Rob Burgis
Lisa Wendt
Jim Mercadante
Don Richmond
Lee Minardi
Tom Swanson
Markus Schaedler
Dave Froschauer
Fred Ballard
Todd Siebert
Rob Sherwood
Mike Moacanin
Robert Bustamante

This is a full load of pilots (max 16 per day), but I expect a flake-out or two, and I hear Tom Swanson has an injury that will prevent his flying. Since the official YHGA sign-up is currently hosed, please post your name on this forum and I'll add you to my list.

It sounds like we'll have several people arriving a day or two early, so we should be able to grab enough sites before Friday. I'll work with everybody to determine who needs what and who can grab sites. Please be prepared to cough up $25 ahead of time (this weekend) for those kind enough to reserve you a site.

It also sounds like we should have plenty of drivers available. Nurit Angsten, Karen Richmond, Nancy Ballard, and Kathy Moacanin will likely be able to drive trucks down. In addition, our long lost Ground Hog will be there with Radna and friend.

The river's floatability is uncertain during our trip. The past winter was light on snow and the river is low. I should have a river report from George Stebbins after this weekend. Regardless of the rafting potential, I'm sure we'll find a place to soak and get soaked on Saturday - maybe right there at Swinging Bridge where we land.

If anybody has any questions or concerns, please post to this forum or send me an e-mail. As usual, I'm sure we're gonna' have a great time!
Busto

Post by Busto »

Will, great job in Colorado.
wingedemily

Post by wingedemily »

Count Andy and me in. We should arrive Thursday.
hgflyboy

Yosemite 2012

Post by hgflyboy »

Busto - thanks!

Emily, glad to have ya'!
gregangsten

YHGA website

Post by gregangsten »

The YHGA website is back up and can be used for sign-ups. Looks like somebody paid the bill.

www.yhga.org
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Kovac and Petrosian are looking to arrive Friday night.
hgflyboy

A river runs through it - barely

Post by hgflyboy »

I just talked with George Stebbins, who was the monitor for this past weekend. He told me the river isn't totally dry, but rafting it would be an exercising in walking the raft over numerous shallow sections. He also said the falls are still falling, but not as impressively as we're used to. None of this a surprise. :roll:
hgflyboy

Yosemite 2012 Report

Post by hgflyboy »

A good time was had by all. Eight pilots flew on Saturday, 5 on Sunday. All of you who signed up and flaked out - you suck! :evil: No broken downtubes, no injuries, two first-timers with big smiles on their faces. While the river wasn't very raftable, we all had a delightful time floating around the bridge at the put-in spot by Curry Village.

Many thanks to Lisa, Katherine, and Chip for their help at launch, and to Mike and Kathy Moacanin for gathering campsites for people on Thursday. I was told the campground was surrounded by predatory campsite hunters at 7am Friday morning, desperately circling around and coordinating with FRS radios to snag a spot! :o Thanks also to George Stebbins for the water report and for reminding me of the box combo while I was on my way there. :oops:

I can't wait to do it again next year! 8)
Mike M
Site Admin

Post by Mike M »

Let's not forget Dave Froschauer who got up at 3 in the morning so he could be at the Bridal-veil campground in time to reserve the first two sites that gave us a foothold in the campground. Thanks Dave!

Thank you Will for making my first time at Yosemite both safe and memorable flights (35 years of flying, never flying Yosemite -- go figure).

Mike
hgflyboy

Post by hgflyboy »

My pleasure, Mike. And yes, Dave F. rocks!