2013 candidates for DAL

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Ken Andrews
Site Admin

2013 candidates for DAL

Post by Ken Andrews »

Ballots for the 2013 Board of Directors went in the mail today (thanks, Katherine!), so current members should be receiving them shortly. To preserve the suspense, I won't reveal the candidates for most of the offices, but it's a great slate of familiar names. As in recent years, the only contested office is Director at Large, and it occurs to me that many club members probably don't know all the candidates. Here they are.

Dan Barley has been a SHGA member since the beginning. While he flies powered airplanes these days instead of hang gliders, he remains deeply committed to the club. He has been a board member for longer than I know, generally as treasurer. In recent years, he has been a director at large and assistant treasurer, watching over our site insurance and helping Katherine Yardley with all the financial details that keep our club going.

Larry Chamblee is also a long-time pilot, and was the club president in 1999. Thanks to his career as a lawyer, he has provided guidance for the club on innumerable legal issues over the years. He has also written position statements about hang gliding to guide the Forest Service and National Park Service on land use. If you see an Atos glider overhead, that's almost certainly Larry. Also keep an eye out for him and his wife, Kim, flying by on road bikes.

Robb Derringer started hang gliding last March (USHPA #92000!), but he has been flying powered aircraft for years. The previous flight experience and the right attitudes are helping him climb rapidly towards a Hang-3 rating. You may recognize Robb from movies, television, and the stage, and he has a more complete bio on IMDB here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0220619/. Ask him about ravens sometime.

Pi-Hsuan Kao is an SHGA member, and while not a pilot herself, her husband Robert Bustamante has been a pilot here for about a dozen years. They have been attending board meetings and reviewing the pavilion construction project for the last year or so. Pi-Hsuan manages construction projects at UCLA when not doing the same at SHGA. Some will also remember Pi-Hsuan and Robert for their highly sought Kagel Mountain Elderberry wine.

Lynn McLaughlin has been our Activities Director for nearly ten years, an extraordinary run. While she's ready for a break from that title, her interest continues as a Director at Large. She and her husband, Bruce Kovac, are always in the LZ to coordinate events, and Lynn is sometimes sighted on a Pulse or a Discus. Next time you see them, encourage them to come out and fly more often!

Will Ramsey is tri-wingual. If you see an all-black topless hang glider, that's him. If you see a white and dark red paraglider, that's also him. If you're buzzed by a general aviation plane, it's probably him (or Julieanne). Originally a Lookout Mountain pilot, he's been a Sylmartian for over a decade. When he's not flying, he's working at Lockheed as a mechanical engineer, yep, designing airplanes.

If I have my facts wrong, or if I've misrepresented anyone, please speak up!
WingNutz

Post by WingNutz »

Ken, Thank you for the candidate profiles.
More of my qualifications:

I was president for three years 1996-1999.
I served on the board for 12 years.
I coined the term "Sylmartians."
I built the steel framework for the tubes in the old (1996) storage container.
With Rob, I perpetrated the first explosions of gopher burrows in the LZ.
I just got my advanced open-water scuba certification.
I sing "Tuff Enuf" by the Fabulous Thunderbirds in the garage band without a name.
Soar With Prudent Passion

Larry Chamblee
Don

My Vote

Post by Don »

WingNutz wrote: I coined the term "Sylmartians."
I just got my advanced open-water scuba certification.
Enough said! You got my vote! :?
OP

Post by OP »

Larry,

What is your stance on gay illegal immigration? Were you thinking cap and trade or some sort of progressive voucher system? As DAL how would you implement these in our by-laws?
Dan Barley

Post by Dan Barley »

Thanks Ken. But I don't sing or dance so I am up against some very tough competition. I do however work my butt off for the club so maybe that will be an equalizer

Interesting that the running DAL group includes 3 GA pilots. I have 4000 hours in that category along with 600 hours hang glider aviating.

Barb and I did the newsletter for 3 years way back when; and my BOD service includes VP, Sec, Treas, and DAL..

I did the racking and the doors for the newer storage box. And put in many hours on the Gazebo construction.

But all that are running in this group are very capable so with any vote you can't go wrong.
Dan B.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

Wow guys,
It's so COOL that you take this seriously enough to really WANT the position. I'd be constantly praying, "Don't vote for me. Don't vote for me!"

Larry, I was there for "Fire in the hole." That, combined with your legal expertise and witty repartee, makes you an easy vote!
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Since we have a small voting pool and every vote counts, I'd like to announce that I'm completely corruptible and will sell my vote to the highest bidder.

Thanks for the info Ken - what does the DAL's duties entail?