Kagel out and return - What is the current record?

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

stebbins

Kagel out and return - What is the current record?

Post by stebbins »

I'm curious what the out-and-return record is for Kagel. The longest flight that I'm aware of is from past West Towers to Mt. Harvard (in front of Wilson) and back to past West Towers. (50.1 miles, I think.) The next longest was done by several people (including Dave Cutter multiple times.) That is Kagel-Wilson-Kagel.

Are there longer flights that I don't know about? (I'm talking about Flex-wing hang gliders, not PG or Rigids. Although, that info would be interesting too.)

I'd love to know.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

http://www.geocities.com/extopaflyer/US ... cords.html

There is no FW Out-and-return record for Kagel, so you can clim any :)

The same for PG. Hmmm... intersting...
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Dizzy wrote:http://www.geocities.com/extopaflyer/US ... cords.html

There is no FW Out-and-return record for Kagel, so you can clim any :)

The same for PG. Hmmm... intersting...
That's why I asked. I KNOW that people go the West Towers-Lukens-back route a lot. I KNOW that people have done the Kagel-Wilson-back route. I DID the W of W Towers-Wilson-back one myself. BUT did anyone go farther? I suspect yes, but I have never heard of it. Please let me know....

And for PG, if you go to trash and back, you've broken the record posted. Ie. No record posted... ;-) Heck, same for RW, although I know that Sebastian has gone to Lukens and back at least.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

The "unofficial record" site mentioned doesn't list the name of the PG pilot who went 62 miles from Kagel. I assume that that is a flight to Crestline, but am not sure. Does anyone know who did it? My guess would be that both Bob England and Ted Boyse have done it, but I could be totally wrong.

Anyone know? Joe Greblo, do you know? Anyone else?
frosty

PG Records

Post by frosty »

I know it wasn't Bob England (although he fly to Crestline with a HG). My best guess is that it was Ted Boyse. I do know that a couple of the guys from Santa Barbara made it from Kagel to the west side of the Cajon Pass, but couldn't get any further.

While the best PG out and return I know of is 16 miles, the actual record must be at least 20 miles.
stebbins

Re: PG Records

Post by stebbins »

Frosty wrote:I know it wasn't Bob England (although he fly to Crestline with a HG). My best guess is that it was Ted Boyse. I do know that a couple of the guys from Santa Barbara made it from Kagel to the west side of the Cajon Pass, but couldn't get any further.

While the best PG out and return I know of is 16 miles, the actual record must be at least 20 miles.
Yea, I knew that Bob flew his HG to Crestline. I was there that day, as a newbie. I always thought he'd done it in a PG too. I guess not. Probably Ted. Anyone know?

I'm just trying to update the Kagel and other SHGA-used sites. The Santa Barbarians can do their own updates. ;-) So can the Crestloiners. ;-) I will concentrate on us Sylmartians....

While we are at it, can anyone beat these Flex wing distances? I assume so, I only put in what I know...

D = Distance
O&R = Out and return
T = Triangle - FAI style
  • Ave S:
    • D - 23 mi - George Stebbins (Ken Andrews, did you beat this? Anyone else?)
      O&R - ? - ?
      T - ? - ?
    Ave L:
    • D - 10 mi - George Stebbins (I assume someone can beat this)
      O&R - 14 mi - George Stebbins
      T - ? - ?
    El Mirage:
    • D - 163? mi - Joe Greblo (To Sloan, NV) Or did he do that from Ord? If so, then Ted Boyse? Ron Wiener?
      O&R - ? - ?
      T - 37.4 mi - George Stebbins
    Parker:
    • D - ? - ?
      O&R - ? - ?
      T - ? - ?
Don

Unofficial Records

Post by Don »

I know that Ken Andrews flew to the West side of the junction of the 5 & 14 from Ave S.

Are you also looking for records from other sites - Blackhawk, Ord, Garlock, etc. ?
stebbins

Re: Unofficial Records

Post by stebbins »

Don wrote:I know that Ken Andrews flew to the West side of the junction of the 5 & 14 from Ave S.

Are you also looking for records from other sites - Blackhawk, Ord, Garlock, etc. ?
Yea, I'm trying to get a more exact distance from Ken (and anyone else) who flew XC from Ave S. I think Ken's is a bit farther than mine. Of course, mine was crosswind, then headwind, and his was downwind. ;-)

Seriously, I'm just trying to get the stats for our local sites. Blackhawk, Ord & Garlock seem to have information already posted. Our local sites don't, except for Ted Boyse's long flight from Kagel.

OH, anyone have a distance (D, O&R, T) from Wilson?