A question about Towers

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

stebbins

A question about Towers

Post by stebbins »

Do we still have access through the gate at towers?
Is the code the same as before? (The one on the members only section of the website.)
Which road is our lock on? The front or the back? (I assume the one that comes from Bear Divide, but just want to be sure.)

Thank you!
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
BudRob

Re: A question about Towers

Post by BudRob »

The combo of the towers gate launch is the same one listed on our website (same as Kagel) and the same type of lock. Yes the gate is accessed from the Bear Divide road. I don't understand the question "front or back". From the Bear Divide road, you make a left turn on a dirt road (about a mile before camp 9) and the gate is maybe 50 yards from the turn. The gate was recently lubed and is much easier to work than it had been in the past. We cleared the launch very well 2 years ago. I was up there with my bike a few days ago and it is still very launchable. A little weed whacking just below launch wouldn't hurt but it is launchable now.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Thanks Rob. Front or back: I was asking if our lock was on the road from the park - I didn't think so, that road is not really for cars any more...
I've gone up the front (past the park) on my bike, and the ranger said that the gate by Bear Divide closed early, so I wasn't sure we still had a lock on it. The fact that we do makes it still doable as a turn-around via ebike without a very early landing. I've launched there within the last 6 months, using the ebike for retrieve. Thanks again.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

The May Canyon (front side) road has been closed to cars for many years, and as you said, it isn't in very good shape, especially from the 2200 saddle to camp 9.

The road from the Bear Divide Fire Station (back side) is called the Santa Clarita Truck Trail. There is a gate a few hundred yards up that gets closed every evening at 6 pm, I think. There is a sign on the gate that states when it closes. I will try to pay attention the next time I bike there and update this post as to the exact time of closing.

I was up there again a few days ago and the mustard bushes have grown considerably is the last couple of weeks. The launch slope has a bunch of them and they are about knee high. Still launchable, but I think it should be weed whacked soon.
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

I have confirmed that the Santa Clarita Truck Trail does in fact close at 6 pm