Looping a Single Surface (article)

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

OP

Looping a Single Surface (article)

Post by OP »

I was asking if it is possible to loop a falcon, when someone (jokingly) suggested that I just try it. Sounds like someone beat me to it.

http://www.flytandem.com/temp/loop.htm
JD

Post by JD »

Rudy Kishazy looped a Moyes Midi back in the '70s.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSEG412uomA[/youtube]

It had a pretty flat airfoil as opposed to the deeply under-cambered airfoil of the Falcon. I've heard that Mitch McAleer can roll a Falcon inverted and pull out but cannot loop it.
addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

I want stirrups for my feet on my Falcon... Just like the ones they have at the doctors office... :oops:
JT

Post by JT »

Marc, there is absolutely nothing polite that anyone can say to that.

That being said, I volunteer to use my clear duct tape to secure your feet to your base tube and we'll launch you the way Rich Grigsby and Greblo used to launch beginners in standards 30+ years ago. Stick that landing, baby!
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

NMERider wrote:Rudy Kishazy looped a Moyes Midi back in the '70s.
Are his harness risers made of clothesline? Wow.
Christian

Post by Christian »

No parachute.
greblo

Post by greblo »

At the time, some didn't agree that Rudy was really doing loops as he didn't pull positive G's all the way around the turn. Rob Kells was actually quite good at looping a single surface, Wills Wing Harrier. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I know all you guys in this discussion are wise enough to always try to keep the faded side of your hang glider pointing upwards; "hence the ground rise up and smite thee!"

I've watched some pretty good pilots train for long periods of time before attempting loops; only to wish they hadn't. Few of our current breed of aerobatic pilots, I believe, can say that they've never come close to serious trouble.
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Does the modern HGMA certification mean the glider will hold together even during a loop that you only make it half way through?
greblo

Post by greblo »

SOMETIMES THEY DO, SOMETIMES THEY DON'T
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
OP

Post by OP »

the thing that struck me about the harrier looping...

Imagine if he had died.. and when they recovered the camera and processed the film... A smiling idiot demonstrating ignorance of simple principles.