Sounds like someone screwed up

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Jim

Sounds like someone screwed up

Post by Jim »

First a "Congratulations!" to the organizers of the Spring Air Festival. Many smiles, many visitors and no serious mishaps to mar the day.

What a disappointment to return the next day to find Greblo all worked-up about a neighbor's complaint.

As the unconfirmed story goes, one late reveler, possibly in a beer-addled state of mind, decided to make his exit by spinning donuts in the parking area. He then allegedly carried this on to Gridley where he was confronted by a neighbor concerned for his children and a relative that was endangered by the SHGA pilot. The pilot may have argued with the neighbor in defense of his activities.

The incident may have occurred after 10PM. Anyone who knows the whole story (the driving pilot was not the only one at the LZ late) should speak up, especially, the pilot involved. It would seem an apology is due to the neighbor; it would be in the best interests of our club for the offender to make one, even if he feels he is not wrong. We have much to lose.
Last edited by Jim on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

I would hope All SHGA Pilots would slow down so we could avoid this countermeasure.
Don

If TRUE - unbelievable !

Post by Don »

If this description is even remotely accurate - what a #$%^ stupid stunt. :x

Assuming it is true - and the offender is a SHGA pilot - then an apology doesn't even come close to addressing offense.
OP

Post by OP »

Wow, how stupid. Someone is in trouble.

Maybe : Apology + temporary site ban + mucho "community service" LZ service hours.
greblo

Post by greblo »

Phantom Gooney Bird,
Thanks for your wisdom. Who are you please? I noticed that your personal info is blank. It's worth noting that we don't even know what went on yet, and until we do, everything's just speculation.
Cheers,
Joe
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
Don

Thanks - Gooney Bird

Post by Don »

Joe, Why do you care who Gooney Bird is? I would think that the most important thing is to find out what really happened, the Board take approprite action if warranted, then (I'm NOT holding my breath on this one) officially let everyone know what happened.

Maybe Gooney Bird is the next "Deep Throat" and the purported incident is the next Watergate :o
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

I have no idea what happened, who was involved or even if the events described actually happened.

But if it happened even remotely as described, the following applies. If the event didn't occur, or is wildly mischaracterized, then please ignore this.

It seems to me that the neighbor involved likely could describe the pilot and his vehicle. It seems unlikely that the (possible) perpetrator could expect much chance of "getting away with it."

My brother (with whom I disagree on a huge range of issues) would say something here that I do agree with: Admit you made a mistake. Apologize. Take the consequences. Make amends as much as possible. People can understand when someone makes a mistake if they admit it, apologize and try to make amends. After all, we all do things we regret later.

And on a practical level, this advice is especially true when you'll likely get fingered anyway. ;-) It is always helpful when the smart thing, the selfish thing and the right thing are all the same thing. :-)
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

If the culprit does not come forward can we get a volunteer to do all the damage control anyway?

A professional groveler who turns out to be a non-member with no ties to the community and a terminal illness.

Just brainstorming here.
Flyyyyy