Crestline to Keller Peak - Narrated

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

JD

Crestline to Keller Peak - Narrated

Post by JD »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FWsA7bJw5U[/youtube]

I have been promising myself and maybe a few others that I'd produce a narrated video of the route to Keller Peak from Crestline launch. Here is my flight from Saturday, 8/21/2010, as I fly downrange to Santa's Village with only a few thermal stops along the way. I make the crossing to Smiley Park from 6,900' and expect to find more thermals in the usual spots, beginning with the 330 switchbacks at the South end of Smiley Park but they aren't happening.

I proceed farther East along the ridge at Running Springs and it's turbulent and scratchy at best. I had launched at 1 PM and the day wasn't fully developed in spite of the nice cumis that had been popping off in the lee of San Gorgonio since 11 AM. I push on to Keller, low from Running Springs and dig out from 5,700', 15.5 miles from AJX at the East foot of Keller Peak.

After the video ends I flew with Chippy several times during the rest of the flight. The tracklog can be found here: http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/system/ ... e+JD+b.kmz

Cheers, Jonathan
Christian

Post by Christian »

Very good vid. Just the right length. Relaxed narrative tone with good info and "distance" from the moment. Personally I appreciate decision not to use music.

Such an introduction to cross -country flying was not available in my time, and would be invaluable to me today.

Cheers,
CW
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

Good one! Thanks!
:)
skydizzy.blogspot.com
max

Post by max »

That is really nice Jonathan good job keep it up.
Smile now Cry later
MAX
addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

Hey Jonathan,

I wish I was able to find the time to fly even 1/4 the amound you do... Hey also noticed you used a different mount and it seemed a bit wobbly...

Marc
JD

Post by JD »

addicted2climbing wrote:..........I wish I was able to find the time to fly even 1/4 the amoun[t] you do... Hey also noticed you used a different mount and it seemed a bit wobbly.....
Marc, I wish I could fly every single day and you as well! I'm using a hastily constructed, proof-of-concept mount in order to place the camera exactly where I want it. Now that I have a position I really like, I'll make a stiffer version. Your mount is excellent but too short to place the camera out.
JD

Post by JD »

Christian wrote:Very good vid. Just the right length. Relaxed narrative tone with good info and "distance" from the moment. Personally I appreciate decision not to use music...............
CW - That's exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping to hear. I also really enjoyed this comment on youtube........
CraigRidley1 wrote:oh and you kinda sound like agent smith from the matrix lol.
Cheers, Jonathan
addicted2climbing

Post by addicted2climbing »

Hey Jonathan,

I can always add a bracket or extension to put the camera enywhere you like. That is why I have the additional tapped holes on the platform.

Marc