Headed to Santa Barbara 3/4/2018

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

Chip
Site Admin

Headed to Santa Barbara 3/4/2018

Post by Chip »

Headed to SB with Phill and maybe Rob Derringer, meet time 8:30. Looks really good there today, will report in later on that.
JD

Re: Headed to Santa Barbara 3/4/2018

Post by JD »

Chip wrote:Headed to SB with Phill and maybe Rob Derringer, meet time 8:30. Looks really good there today, will report in later on that.
How was it?
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

I wish, but it was pretty good. Started to turn about 30 minutes after Phill and I arrived (it had been down all morning but was forecast to turn about 10ish). Good turn out from the SB crew and they gave us a pretty warm welcome despite the chilly conditions at 10:30.

Launched, turned right and connected on the spine to the right, went right to about 4500 and flew just short of the power lines (east of launch) and then back to the VOR, then to the beach for a nice no stepper into about 10 from the west.

High for the day was about 5500' and pretty chilly, but those that know me know that doesn't bother me too much. Phill and I were together for much of the flight, both of us taking turns at the top and leading, but I was behind at the beginning and picked him up as he turned back short of the power lines I think.

Lift was ratty at times but going up quick with some of the best lift on most of the well known lift sources. You needed to up your bump tolerance a tad today as we were getting dumped here and there. Wind at the boundary layer was from the NNW about 8 or so.

Got a real good look at the areas where the mud slides caused so much damage in Montecito. Some places look like a bomb went off devoid of any vegetation.

All in all a great day to get out of town for some decent flying elsewhere.