Ken Andrews is a tall and brave pilot

If your topic lands here, you either put it here yourself or one of the moderators thought it likely too polarizing a subject to stay in the General Discussion area
Bob Kuczewski

Torrey Hawks Renewal

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

I just spoke to Joe Greblo earlier this evening. He'd been asking about the Torrey Hawks Chapter and that got me digging into USHPA's failure to renew our Chapter Status under Ken's watch (in the spring of 2016). Here's part of what I just sent to Joe:
Bob wrote:Our President (Brian McMahon) had sent in all the paperwork (because I wasn't a USHPA member). I ended up writing to Ken about it on May 26, 2016:
Bob wrote:"Ken, it's quite possible that USHPA will try to avoid renewing our Chapter status out of spite. They got away with expelling me for no reason, and they may do the same with our club's renewal. If that ends up being the case, will you help us with our renewal?"
Ken replied the next day (May 27th, 2016):
Ken wrote:"Bob and all,

I expect that the USHPA office will process your chapter renewal without problem. If you encounter any further difficulty, let me know, and I’ll do what I can to help.

-Ken"
USHPA didn't renew our Chapter and Ken did nothing. He said "let me know, and I'll do what I can to help" but he didn't keep his word.
My question to Ken was clear: "If [USHPA refuses], will you help us with our renewal?"

Ken's answer was also very clear: "... let me know, and I’ll do what I can to help." Ken sent that reply to myself, our club President (Brian McMahon), and to two observers (Joe Faust and Frank Colver).

So what did Ken Andrews actually "do to help"? Ken, would you like to field that question?
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
Bob Kuczewski

Bob Bendetson's Complaint

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

A week ago today, I was at Dockweiler with two friends that I know through work. I brought them to Dockweiler for a fun day of flying. You can see some pictures here:

https://ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 220#p26690

Bob Bendetson was teaching, and he did a fine job. Thanks Bob.

At the end of the day we were talking about the fact that Windsports would not allow me to fly at Dockweiler - even though I'm an H4 former Regional Director with a fine flying record. Bob Bendetson brought up this topic, and he used it to justify the situation (or at least to justify his inaction in the matter). I promised him that I would review this topic with the benefit of hindsight ... and I kept my promise.

I've read through this topic a few times now in review, and I believe everything I've posted is both accurate and fair. I'm sorry Bob, but you have mischaracterized what was said. Please read it again carefully and calmly. Thanks.

But in reading through this topic, I've also recognized the sharp contrast between my own Directorship and that of Ken Andrews. I can say with absolute certainty, that if USHPA simply refused to renew the SHGA chapter status under my Directorship (as they did to the Torrey Hawks under Ken's), I'd have been pounding my shoe on the USHPA Boardroom table demanding that they do the right thing. I'd have expressed that opinion publicly and repeatedly - far and wide. I would NOT have rested until justice was done. That's a fact, and everyone who's known me these last 15 years knows it's true.

Similarly, if USHPA were denying membership or flight access to any SHGA member - whether my best friend or archest enemy - I'd be similarly speaking out at every opportunity to right that injustice. Everyone who's known me knows that's true as well.

Now I can already here the replies from the critics:

"See Bob, that's why you couldn't get anything done at USHPA. You have to go along to get along."

And right there is the crux of the problem. To borrow from Barry Goldwater:

Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
dhmartens

Re: Ken Andrews is a tall and brave pilot

Post by dhmartens »

"Can anyone find where Ken Andrews has provided any justifiable reason why the Torrey Hawks Chapter was not renewed during Ken's first term (and remains unrenewed to this day)?"
Yes, the organizational structure of Ushpa is flawed and must be destroyed and replaced. And this is how they came to that conclusion .

Ken approached Ushpa in his unwavering confidence.

After making his request that your membership and ushawks be reinstated Ushpa reacted

Ken reacted to Ushpa reaction ( note melting point of tin is 449.5 degrees Fahrenheit (231.9 degrees Celsius)

After some discussion, where no one is at fault, Ken uncovered that the org structure failed us all and needed to go.
(Kirk and Nomad - I created...error.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw3zzMWOIvk

After the new organizational structure is put in place we will revisit this issue.
Bob Kuczewski

Re: Ken Andrews is a tall and brave pilot

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

dhmartens wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:41 pm "Can anyone find where Ken Andrews has provided any justifiable reason why the Torrey Hawks Chapter was not renewed during Ken's first term (and remains unrenewed to this day)?"
Let the record show that Ken has provided no answer. USHPA refused to renew the Torrey Hawks out of retaliation and because USHPA puts business interests ahead of pilot's interests. Ken and all Directors are elected to represent their members, but very few have the courage to actually do so.