Another blown launch in the saddle

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
BudRob

Another blown launch in the saddle

Post by BudRob »

Last Saturday I blew a launch in the saddle during strong, gusty conditions. My right wing got blown up on my first step, causing my left wing to drop. I powered off the hill, sure I could pull it out. I'm not sure if the left tip dragged through the tall grass or not, but I do know that I was stalled in a left turn as I got airborne. I threw my weight forward and to the right and the glider began correcting. I was pretty sure I was going to pull it off but my left wingtip contacted the hillside, causing the glider to twist into the hill 50-100 feet below the normal launch area. The only injury I sustained was a wire burn on my right forearm. I wish I could say the same for my glider, which suffered a broken outboard leading edge. There are some pretty big rocks down there and it looks like my leading edge hit one of them.

Please add my name to the list of saddle launch blowers. There were better launch cycles to be had that day. Obviously, I should have waited longer to launch in one of them.

Rob Burgis
JD

"Launch Blower"? Sounds Kinky

Post by JD »

Thanks for the report. Glad you weren't badly injured or worse. Why did you choose to launch the saddle? Was there a slow line on top? I know that I'll use it when I don't want to wait in line or carry my gear up to the top. But after a blown launch there four years ago I've become very picky about my cycles.

I will confess that I actually felt unsafe trying to launch the top of Marshall Peak on Monday so I carried everything the 100 yards down to the proper ramp. Embarrassing but true. :D
Don

Saddle Blown Launches

Post by Don »

Unfortunately, I'm in good company with blown launches from the saddle. Hopefully no one else will join the club!

Glad to hear you OK Rob.

My Blown Launch cost about $1k (which included a new helmet - because the old one saved my front lower head).
DrJeff

Glad your're safe

Post by DrJeff »

Thanks for the helpful report. We can all learn from every mistake. You give good reminders!
Jeff Bjorck
www.purepiano.com ~quiet music to calm the heart in a noisy world~
JD

Post by JD »

Gosh, with all this talk about "launch blowers" and "front lower heads" I'm really not sure whether this is suitable for children and more sensitive viewers. :lol: :lol:
vannoppen

Blown launch

Post by vannoppen »

What , you didn't take out your wire crew in the process. I'm sorry but that does not count. In the manuel it clearly states that in order to blow or more clearly fuck up your launch technique you have to toss one or more of your wire friends into the abbesse. Sorry for the spelling. Article 2 page 4 3rd paragraph. In order to blow your launch some woman must fly before you

THANKS NANCY sorry Fred

Rob I hope this makes you feel better
PS. It wouldn't be any fun to toss your wire crew off t saddle

But I did notice G Angston having to get creative a few weeks ago wiring someone off the saddle. Greg you saved his ass.
vannoppen

Blown launch

Post by vannoppen »

What , you didn't take out your wire crew in the process. I'm sorry but that does not count. In the manuel it clearly states that in order to blow or more clearly fuck up your launch technique you have to toss one or more of your wire friends into the abbesse. Sorry for the spelling. Article 2 page 4 3rd paragraph. In order to blow your launch some woman must fly before you

THANKS NANCY sorry Fred

Rob I hope this makes you feel better
PS. It wouldn't be any fun to toss your wire crew off t saddle

But I did notice G Angston having to get creative a few weeks ago wiring someone off the saddle. Greg you saved his ass. Th
vannoppen

Double post

Post by vannoppen »

Sorry for the double post. Maybe I should have said Sorry Nancy Thanks Fred