Landing Conflicts Avoided using Radio Communication

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
BudRob

Landing Conflicts Avoided using Radio Communication

Post by BudRob »

Have you ever been a few turns away from landing and suddenly seen someone else very near you who you hadn't noticed before? Suddenly your whole landing plan has to be rethought in a big hurry. And you ask yourself, "Why didn't I see this other pilot before?"or "Does this other pilot even see me?"

It isn't easy to scan the entire sky for other pilots while trying to concentrate on setting up a landing pattern. The task of spotting others in the pattern, or coming into it, becomes a whole lot easier if you know someone else is there, or is going to be there soon.

So, I am requesting all pilots who have a radio to announce their landing intentions as soon as they cross the Gavina bridge. If you are coming in low, and need a priority landing, please announce it ASAP. This gives those in the pattern a chance to float around and delay their landings until the lower person lands.

This is the same procedure used for non-tower controlled airports. Pilots approaching the landing field announce their intention to land and report their positions, which tells other pilots that there is someone else to look out for.

I believe that landing conflicts present a significant safety risk to our pilots and we need to take a proactive approach wherever we can.
JD

It Works!

Post by JD »

Philldor and I discussed implementation of the new landing pattern radio etiquette as we climbed out this afternoon and then we put it to the test a few minutes later (because it was an overcast day). Since our conversation was rather bland I replaced it with some trip hop music from Glen Porter. But seriously, I called my intention from 2,200' MSL after I crossed Gavina St and Phill informed me that he was right behind me. If you don't have a 2-meter radio license please study for the exam and get your call sign so it's all legal. Now enjoy a little Prop 64 indulgence while you relax and watch.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hknK6McgclE[/youtube]