Blowin' In The Wind

Please tell what happened and how it might have been avoided. Names should be ommitted. This forum should help others learn from mistakes that caused or nearly caused a mishap.
greblo

Blowin' In The Wind

Post by greblo »

It was quite a few weeks this accident happened;and likely old news.

Short version:
I blew over on launch while hooked in.

Long version:
I wanted to feel wind on my face and bugs in my teeth before i left for a non flying vacation.
I was tired but took the opportunity to squeeze in a hot mid day launch flight.
The winds were as expected, a bit gusty and unsettled.Nothing to be concerned about.
I had very capable help from set up area to launch and on launch. I clearly cleared my helper then hesitated as the wind shifted quite cross from the west. I called back my help and at that point i had stepped back a few steps from launch and my helper had made it back to the tail of my glider and I felt he was fine there.Once stabilized and happy with the wind I turned my head over my right shoulder so i could be heard and once again cleared the help.I was looking behind me more when i should have looked in front. As i was walking and talking I believe i lifted the right wing a bit and stepping up to launch with the wind still a bit west. A bit of a gust came up for the perfect storm. I started to slide to the east side of launch and not able to get the rising wing back. The glider flipped over.It was like being on a carnival ride but not any fun.During the mayhem I broke my 4th metacarpal on my left hand.But even so i had only a little pain in my pinky .I disassembled the slightly scuffed glider my self and did about 3 hours of gardening afterwards, went home took a shower and washed my hair. My hand was swelling bit so took off my wedding ring and then noticed something in my hand felt funny.So off to Olive View hospital about 7:30 PM and then to finally return home about 3:30 AM with a huge splint.Now i have plenty of time to reflect on my focus.

Kris Greblo
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
Bob Kuczewski

Post by Bob Kuczewski »

Thanks for the report. It's never fun to write those, but they serve as a good lesson to us all.

I'm glad you're (mostly) O.K. :)
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
View my rating at: USHGRS
Every human at every point in history has an opportunity to choose courage over cowardice. Look around and you'll find that opportunity in your own time.
DrJeff

Thanks

Post by DrJeff »

Thanks for the report, Kris. All of us need to be reminded because I bet all of us have done the same thing more than once. Hope you heal fully and fast!
Jeff Bjorck
www.purepiano.com ~quiet music to calm the heart in a noisy world~