3 Pilots to 29 Palms

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Chip
Site Admin

3 Pilots to 29 Palms

Post by Chip »

Write up complete here it is

Last edited by Chip on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

Awesome job boys! I was trying to keep an eye on you guys as I was digging my out at middle T and my comms were getting shotty. By the time I topped out (about 8K) you guys were already gone, it looked like a lot of tiger country to cover to get to Gleason, but obviously it's doable from 9K! I'm stoked you went for it.

jonesy
JD

Post by JD »

Awesome flying and write-up on your blog too! Makes me excited to be returning to the sport after > 1/2 my life.

Cheers, Jonathan
bricksfly

Post by bricksfly »

Thanks for the write-up of your flight. It was exciting to read about and look forward to my own XC flights someday!
Sorry that your story had a sad ending but really appreciate the little bit of info about Richards day. I am sure that he was happy to be heading up the hill with his friends and excited about his day in the sky! Thanks again.
Bill
frosty

Where Next?

Post by frosty »

Indeed brilliant flying. How many 100's of miles have you guys flown XC from Kagel in the past year?

Please upload all of the track logs so we can see them in Google Earth. I'd love to see more details of the terrain you flew over.

And Chip, were you flying a different glider than your T2? If it's that used Litespeed you were looking at, how many times have you flown it so far?

-Foster
Chip
Site Admin

100 miles or greater

Post by Chip »

This is my longest on any glider. The T2 took me just short of 100 miles in Texas. My first 100 was on a Moyes GTR in the Owens, this flight was way easier.

The LiteSpeed 4S I bought from Kraig Coomber will get a new sail in the upcoming weeks (although it really doesn't need it). This was the longest flight in terms of miles and time in the glider. Having flown the glider around 5 times now I think I have its "basic" characteristics understood, but not mastered.

I have 2 of the three tracks, will upload the 3rd when I get it.

The glider is behaving well.
stebbins

Post by stebbins »

Hey Chip,

Two questions and one comment:

1) Did you get the sail from Kraig?
2) How much was it?

Comment: GREAT JOB, DUDE! I wish I was there, but I was in the Owens with it blowing down too hard to fly. Sky looked good, though. I'll bet the sailplanes were having fun...
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe -- George
JD

Meanwhile Over At Pine Mtn.............

Post by JD »

It was interesting to note Chip's comment about the big development over at Pine Mtn where Tony went 208 miles and past 29 Palms.

Looks like SoCal is taking the XC back from Drummer Stan and pal Dave in NY State.
Chip
Site Admin

Some interesting stats

Post by Chip »

Some of you have asked (in the LZ) about the performance statistics we were getting on the day of the flight. Here are a few that got my attention using CompeGPS:

Transition from Palmdale (Little Rock) to El Mirage
Distance 21.69 mile glide
Start Alt 10,646
End Alt 4731
Track Speed 53.7
Effective glide 18.86:1

Transition from Lucern Dry Lake
Distance 13.1 mile glide
Start Alt 12, 313
End Alt 11,358
Track Speed 60.3 :o
Effective Glide 66:1 :o

Final glide from Yucca Valley
Distance 19.3 mile glide
Start Alt 11,644
End Alt 7100
Track Speed 57.6
Effective Glide 21.4:1 8)

There were a few more 13 mile glides that generally averaged between 14:1 - 21:1

Good tail wind or great glider? Little of both I think.