Jaynce's glide from West Towers

A place to stretch the truth a little...
Chip
Site Admin

Jaynce's glide from West Towers

Post by Chip »

Here's the stat screen from SeeYou

I marked the glide from just west of the 2200 to landing to see the performance of the glider and how well she did on the glide back. There wasn't much in the way of extra altitude, but the 5030 indicated that she had it when she left from West Towers at 3917.

Rob was with her the entire way, I was above, and Jim some where around as well. At the 1500, Jaynce had the Dam LZ at worst, so her and Rob pressed on, flying best glide most of the way. Staying close to the ridge was the order of the day.

Here's the SeeYou screen grab for of that glide. As you may see, she had just enough to make a 360 and land at the LZ. Way to stay with it and not panic.

Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Here's the video from SeeYou
https://vimeo.com/108314799
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Jeff! Can't wait to hear detailed analysis. I think that, as I was fighting panic most of the way, I flew too fast, at times--especially when I didn't make the 15! Definitely eff'd up when I didn't stay as close to the 1500' as possible. It was the first time I've EVER been BELOW it, so I took a direct line for Scooters, which--in retrospect--was probably not the best course of action. Should have stayed as close to ridge lift/weak thermals rising as possible. Vario DID tell me to fly fast, at times--so I did. BUT, I can GUARANTEE that I flew fast MORE than the vario told me to, out of nervousness. One thing that helped a lot was knowing that Chippy landed a LS at the dam, a few years ago. I figured that it was doable. (That SO does not look like a word!)

Welcome any and all comments, particularly if they are helpful! Nothing quite like constructive critism from AWESOME pilots!
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
BudRob

Post by BudRob »

You done good!
OP

Post by OP »

If JCFLIES and the other pilots agree. Please drop the posts into this thing: http://www.doarama.com/

We can all see yall and spin it around in 3d. It's free. No one uses seeyou anymore.
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

fine by me!
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Janyce and Chippy, This flight discussion is very helpful and interesting. Thanks for posting. We are fortunate to have such great mentors among us...
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Here's the flight visualization on Doarama
jcflies

Post by jcflies »

WOW! EYE-Opening! Maybe I should just stay home tomorrow...
(But I won't.)

Really loved the way Chippy stayed out in front. I drifted back, which CLEARLY, got me very little of anything. Watching my moves, as compared to theirs, makes me realize that I have a LOT to learn about efficiency. The bell just rang; school's in session.
janyce

"You HAVE to make it..."
Chip
Site Admin

Try Chrome

Post by Chip »

If you're having problems viewing the visualization, try using Chrome.

Otherwise try this troubleshooting from google
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/1220892