SCFR day7

Moderator: Comp Committee

jdevorak

SCFR day7

Post by jdevorak »

Day 7: Hardship day but I did not come away with a broken heart. As I started my tow and still on the dolly I felt rain drops. The tow went ok but I pinned of early because I seemed higher than usual and I felt some good lift. I turned but couldn’t find it again. Then I noticed I was on the far side of the 5k cylinder. I pointed back toward the tow paddock and noticed my vario wasn’t giving me a countdown to first start clock. It wasn’t giving me distance to cylinder either. I should have checked that stuff before I got on the cart. I got back to launch with less than a thousand feet. I got a 100 up and stuck with it. I gained 500 and noticed two other gliders in the direction of course line. They were lower and turning so I went to them. A swift joined us and we climbed to 6000 msl. It looked bleak toward the first turn point so I decided to get as much distance as I could. While gliding I tried to re-enter the task. Practicing pushing buttons in the air helped me out in my time of need. I still didn’t get any clock info but I got the course back into the competition rout. I found another weak slow climb 6 miles out. I hung on for dear life and got up to 6500. I flew to the Casa Grande Mountains but didn’t find any more lift. They were in the shade. I flew south a few miles toward some earth that wasn’t quite as shaded. I found even weaker lift and hung on until I got an extra 1000 feet. It started raining again so I tucked my arms in and went on glide to get away from the rain. It was up wind and had a reading of -4. It was also shaded all the way to the first turn point with sun beyond that. Greg reported he was 5 km from tp1 and not feeling the love. He landed at 35 km and 1.5 km from tp1. I managed 30 km and 6.3 km from tp1. As I was breaking down I got a couple of severe storm warnings on my cell phone. Fortunately I have been practicing my breakdowns too. We both got picked up by Mike Digtoff before it hit. Nobody made goal. We have to wait and see if the scores are devalued but Kraig Coomber probably won the competition. My closest rival landed 6 km before me so I might have gained one place. What really saved me from a broken heart is that I had my best landing of the whole comp.
eat right, exercise, die anyway!
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

Results are in. I did not get enough pints to improve my lot. I finished 31 out of 39 pilots. Greg Kendall finished 23, a little more than 2 points behind 22. Kraig Coomber did win. MOYES GLIDERS TOOK THE FIRST 5 PLACES. Mike Bilyk from Crestline finished 3rd and ahead of Jonny Durand, who was forth. Anna Eppink, a woman finished 8th in the sport class of 16 glides
JD

Post by JD »

jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

update: The scorer forgot to give Greg his hero points. The scorer was notified by another participant and she said she would correct the oversight. That should move his finish up several positions.
jdevorak

Post by jdevorak »

update to update. Maria kept her word and fixed Greg's score from the first day. His overall finish is now 17th place. His national ranking after the last comp of 2014 is 14th place.
dhmartens

Post by dhmartens »

Thanks Jay really appreciated the quick daily updates and the LZ debriefing.

Reminded me of the Great Race
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nkm1vBs2w4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNzUVM2xPWI[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ZnWc1B7W4[/youtube]