SCFR 2016 day one

Moderator: Comp Committee

Chip
Site Admin

SCFR 2016 day one

Post by Chip »

Our first task in the Santa Cruz Flats Race. Expected top of lift 11k @ 2pm. I think that is over called a bit. Course is 108 mile triangle, first to the east then south and back into the wind. I'm on the very bottom of the launch order along with Phill Bloom, Alex Cuddy, and Greg Kendall. At least I'll have company.

Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

Tough first day for me.

Started with learning that I was dead last in the launch order. Ok, I tell myself, I'll just stay in the shade until it's time to go. That part worked out well and I got in the launch line right behind Phill Bloom.

This is where it really stated to go bad. On launch I break a weak link right off the cart. Landed ok, half vg, with a little whack, no damage done.

I get back in tow line and get Bobby as a tow pilot (one of the best). With a fresh weak link I'm sure I'm going to be positioned well. So I come off the cart well and I see Bobby starting to descend. At first I'm thinking we're about to hit some massive sink followed by some massive lift, so I mentally prepare for the rodeo. But then I see Bobby land the dragonfly. For a few milliseconds I'm not really processing what is happening. But then it hits me and I release the tow line and try to land as the glider is doing its best to send me downwind. I eventually get the glider pointed into the wind and land without any drama.

Ok, back in the tow line again, get some water and some water spray into my face so I don't overheat. This time it's Jim Prahl as my tow pilot (another great tug pilot). I hear him ask, where do you want to go. I tell him to the top. This time tow goes well and it looks like I'm finally going to get started until Jim waves me off at 1000'. I can hardly believe this. Tows are supposed to be 2500'. We had just gone through some pretty good lift so I go back for it. Although elusive, I climb from 2400 to 3000. The thermals aren't big yet. I think I can do better to the south and move that direction, but I'm by myself. Long story short I'm on the ground in 13 minutes, off field and my day is over. Ron will make the first turnpoint, Greg goes about 75, Phill will make it 99.

I had an easy retrieve. Jay was a trooper helping me and I got to pick up all my buddies since nobody made goal.

Looks like I'll be dead last for the day and be last in the tow line again tomorrow. I think I might take an early bird launch tomorrow instead of waiting