Midwest 2017

Moderator: Comp Committee

Chip
Site Admin

Midwest 2017

Post by Chip »

Stay tuned while the 3 amigos (Kevin, Chip, and Phill) travel to the land of corn and mosquito's to fly above the skies of Wisconsin with about 80 other pilots.

I'm sure I'll end up in the back of the launch order on the first day so I'll be keeping Kevin company at least for the first day, although I plan on taking the early launch if offered.

I'll do my best to get the track logs of all of us, but if you are so inclined (Jay), you can follow along here

We're planning on leaving early on Sunday morning, I'll have 2000 miles to make Kevin an expert on the DigiFly before we arrive.

More to follow ......
Chip
Site Admin

The trip

Post by Chip »

Kevin and I made very good time getting here traveling about 1000 miles the first day and resting / camping over night at a road side rest near Glenwood Springs in Colorado.

When we pulled in there it was night and we really weren't ready for the breathtaking beauty we would awake to. I slept in the bed of the truck and Kevin in the back seats. It was chilly but not so much that you couldn't sleep. When we woke up to birds chirping and the sound of a rushing river it was more spectacular than we imagined.

After getting up and about, we met a local (Isrial), that had retired from California, some place near Long Beach I believe. He was friendly and gave us some local knowledge about where we were and the history of the place. Plus I read some of the signs at the roadside rest.

The trip towards Vail was absolutely gorgeous and not to be missed by driving during the night, we were glad we waited to do it until the morning. All while traveling down the 80 in Colorado, we kept saying, why don't we live here?

We traveled all the way to somewhere in Iowa and stayed at another road side rest but made the mistake of eating some really nasty greasy food before settling in, just good thing the rest rooms were close. But the worse thing was the idling trucks all night long. Sure wee "rested", but sleep was allusive.