Colorado Fly Week 2016!

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Steve90266

Colorado Fly Week 2016!

Post by Steve90266 »

It's time to plan, ladies. Pat and I are heading out on Monday, Aug 22. The first fly site on my radar is Point of the Mountain, UT. If you've never been there, it's worth flying. It's a ridge site, so XC is usually not in the cards. Lots of jellies. The south side works in the early mornings, and the north side in the late afternoon. We plan to break up the first leg by making it to St. George, UT and staying there over night. Then onward to POM to fly the next afternoon. From there, we head out to Montrose, CO, with the intent of flying Telluride on Thursday. From Telluride, onward to CFW!

It would be great if we can plan a convergence in Telluride. It's a guided site, so we need to get one of their guys to take us up and show us around. Better to show up with a bunch of pilots than just one or two. I know a lot of you guys have been talking about it. Time to put up or shut up. Let's get this thing coordinated! We can target Thursday, since the Fly Week officially kicks off Friday. Let's begin the coordination!
Steve Murillo
gregangsten

CFW

Post by gregangsten »

I am planning to go and would like to also get a flight in at Telluride, but I need to do it on the way back instead of the way out. I'm going to see if I can arrange a flight on Monday after Fly week.

I'm also staying in Colorado for another week so I can give someone a ride out to Villa and carry their glider home but can't give a body ride back LA. If someone wants to drive out and fly home though, that could be worked out.
MikeI

Post by MikeI »

I'm in, but planning to make a bit of a road trip out of it. I'll probably skip out of fly week a few days early to visit friends in Co Springs & Phoenix. Greg, I'll take you up on the offer to bring a glider back if you're still willing. I can get mine out there, but would prefer not to have to figure out how to store it at hotels later.

What are everyone's plans on the way out there? I'm tentatively planning to drive up Saturday the 27th and will have room for 2 pilots & gliders if people need a ride there (but not back). I'm flexible to change plans and meet up with others on the way though.

Mike
mrobin604

Post by mrobin604 »

I like your plan Steve, I may do the same as I want to hit 2 sites on the way out as well, and have been meaning to get to POM. Also retrieve logistics seem to work out better if we have more pilots.
gregangsten

Fire scare

Post by gregangsten »

People may not have noticed but the event was nearly shut down due to a fire. That problem is over though and the event is on.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=40
gregangsten

CFW pictures

Post by gregangsten »

Here's just a few pictures from Fly Week in Colorado. We took a side trip to Black Canyon of the Gunnison N.P. afterwards.

https://goo.gl/photos/h8U61FtADqR5G2Mv8