Protest Filed Today, !2/6/05

Or more like weather education. I've posted information I use to help figure out the day. Often I'll also post graphics with explanations of "why" the weather guessers think the day is good.

Moderator: Chip

Christian

Protest Filed Today, !2/6/05

Post by Christian »

I have today formally complained to the National Weather Service about the continued contrary winds in the Los Angeles area, with specific reference to the unsuitability of the current pattern for hang gliding. I have pointed out that there has long been a tacit agreement that the winds would blow from the north during the evening hours but return to southerly flow during the daytime, if only between the hours of noon to 5 p.m. Why change the agreement without any consultation at all?

The sheep-like attitude of the hang gliding community towards the National Weather Service, which is after all funded by tax dollars, speaks very poorly of us all. Day after day the wind is all wrong and we just herd up with our asses to it, chewing grass. If America can build a car that can go ten miles on a single gallon of gasoline, we certainly have the will to do something about this Santa Ana crap.

And we do nothing.
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

Whom do we sue?
JBBenson

Post by JBBenson »

Whom do we sue?
JT

Santa Anas

Post by JT »

These winds are why God gave us mountain bikes and skis.

Fools, you should know you can't get anything done through the government... unless you have lots and lots of money.

Why don't you host a $10,000 per plate fund raiser for the director of NOAA so he can run for some office? That'll get you some pork. Giant nuclear powered turbines pointed up Kagel for instance. Maybe you could get him to throw in some parking lot-sized heating blankets for thermal effect while you're at it.

Wake my 4S and me when it's Spring.
Chip
Site Admin

Limited only by your lack of experience

Post by Chip »

Flying is still good in the places that are sheltered from the harsh blowing winds.

Friday and Saturday blew pretty hard NW. Bad for Kagel, SB, Elsinore, Crestline, and Ojai. However Torrey Pines had nice flying both days with winds directly in 270 @ 15 (perfect). Bates beach in SB was probably good but strong. I suspect Dockwiler was flyable.

Sunday the wind switched to the NE, but somewhat hard here in Sylmar. In those conditions Ojai, SB, and Elsinore usually work. Ojai requires a bit of logistical support but pilots were rewarded this last Sunday with flights into SB from Ojai. SB pilots all had really good flights.

When it looks NW and you really need to fly, look to the coastal sites for your fix. Dockwiler for the pilots that are working on skills, Torrey for experienced pilots.

In NE winds look to SB, Ojai, Elsinore, and Ave S. for your air fix.

Plan ahead .......... with a front passage the wind is normally going to go NW for at least 1 day. A NE flow normally follows. A little bit of planning and logistical support can go a long way and will avoid these needless litigation issues. :wink:
JT

Lack of Experience

Post by JT »

So, does this mean you aren't going to go skiing with us, Chip?
Chip
Site Admin

Post by Chip »

I'd go skiing!

SB or Ojai looks good this weekend