Retinal Detachment Part II

Talk about anything hang gliding.

Moderator: Chip

dcutter

Retinal Detachment Part II

Post by dcutter »

After cataract surgery where they have removed your natural lens, they put in a fake one that only has one focal distance. They customize for your eye so that you will have good distance vision but your intermediate and close up vision is useless. Hence bifocals, reading glasses etc. Anyway my lovely wife, through internet prospecting stumbled across a newly FDA approved lens that had the ability to provide some amount of close up vision in addition to the normal distance vision. Hey now this was starting to sound good. I faxed #5 with some questions most notably "Can you do this?" Yes and it turns out he's the Principal Investigate for the FDA trials. This means he probably is the most experienced guy in the country doing this lens. I'm starting to get a little excited about this now.

OK for you readers who are faint of heart be fore warned we are about to enter the twilight zone. I'm doing some research on the procedure and I have some questions I want to fax in to the doctor. I'm assuming he could answer them by either faxing back or voice mail etc,. I call up the office and a receptionist tells me. "The doctor is uncomfortable doing your surgery" I'm stunned and somewhat speechless. I finally ask what is the problem. The receptionist says the same thing. Through another phone call and deductive reasoning, I decide he is confusing me with someone else(more story is required to explain how I decided this)
I'm really bummed now. Who is going to be as experienced as this guy? This is really becoming a chore and I haven't even told you about the insurance bull**
So After some more internet research we found #6 yeah, I think? When I went to the #6's office, one of my interview questions was "How many of these special lenses have you put in people?" His answer was 70. I called up doc #3

Cataract surgery went fine. In fact I was seeing close to 20/20 right after the surgery. Hey now. This was pretty cool for someone who can't see without glasses or contacts. I can get up in the morning and just see. Maybe I won't need the LASIK surgery after all.

The plan was to have a LASIK surgery after my eye healed from the cataract surgery (about 3 months) During that time as the eye healed, my visual acuity worsened to about 20/40 in the right eye. It actually took 9 months before my visual acuity stabilized such that #6 was confident about doing a LASIK.

The surgery wasn't painful but it was quite uncomfortable. Two valiums were not enough. I'll save the details for in person conversation. I was immediately seeing 20/20 and 3 days after surgery, I went hang gliding. I haven't seen that many details from launch in years. I went to work on Monday and was seeing 20/20 through what looked like fog. The doctor's office told me I would have fluctuating vision. This didn't really explain what I was seeing. The list of "get to the doctor immediately" symptoms were not happening. I came in for #6 to look at it anyway. He said everything looked fine.