Spring Fishbowl?

Upcoming event & clinic announcments.

Moderator: Event Co-Ordinator

Do you think competitions are worth the time?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:34 pm

Yes, they are good learning environments.
80%
No, they're only for the blow hards!
20%
Don't really care, I just want to fly
No votes

Total votes: 5

Chip
Site Admin

Spring Fishbowl?

Post by Chip »

I think it's time we prepare ourselves for another local Fishbowl. Just wondering if there's much interest in a comp clinc type event or should we just hold a fun event that is run similar to comps without the instruction.

I believe some of the "big guns" will want to assist others.

Might even get our newest "big gun" to speak about his experiences in OZ Land.

I was thinking about trying to put something together sometime in March (maybe 11th - 12th or the 18th - 17th).

If we hold a clinic type event I will need some volunteers from the comp class pilots. Discussions I would like to cover would be start stratigies and instrument setup.

We'll likely charge a nominal fee to purchase food and drinks and maybe a small cash prize to the winner. Let me know if it sounds like something you're interested in.
Don

Fish Bowl

Post by Don »

I'm interested (vote #2) - hopefully covers some ultra-basics since I don't even have the slightest knowledge of this. Got to start somewhere.

Thanks to anyone/everyone that is willing to teach.
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

This is a great club event. The one you coordinated for us last year was a huge success. If you don't have enough interest at this time of year, have you considered putting it together as part of the Spring Air Fest in April/May?

Freddy and I would be happy to help...

Lynn
Chip
Site Admin

Date is not an issue.

Post by Chip »

Judging from the responses I thought no one really cared. The date isn't really an issue for me. I'd like to see a bit more participation, but maybe not all that many pilots are using the web.

We can do it during the Spring Air Festival, should be easy to coordinate.
©hris

Post by ©hris »

Chip,

Maybe if you mention it to Joe Greblo he would pass it along to some of his advanced students; this might stir some interest; or just talk to people you think are qualified in the LZ on a busy saturday or sunday.

It could be done like a clinic and we could have a few experience pilots make teams with students and compete against each other. Even if the experienced pilots had to fly Falcons or something.

I think we need to promote task/goal oriented flying even at our fishbowl...I would participate anyway I could.
ericbrown

Post by ericbrown »

sounds fun. yeah, i bet a bunch of joe's peeps would be interested. i know i'd sign up.
Lynn McLaughlin

Post by Lynn McLaughlin »

Happy to hear you are willing to include Fish Bowl in upcoming Spring Air Festival. I'll send word to the BOD and include you in the emails. We can come up with strategy to promote and get folks on board. I know our seasoned pilots LOVE this format and our newer pilots will enjoy a clinic environment.

Thanks so much for your willingness to bring real and fun competition to SHGA.

Lynn